Bridgwater’S Mark Godbeer turned in an incredible performance on the eve of his 27th birthday to bring a fitting climax to the Head to Head cage fighting championships, writes Arthur Meek.

The ‘Big Guns’ promotion at the Junction 24 Centre at Huntworth lived up to all the hype and was arguably the biggest sporting event Bridgwater has ever seen.

Hundreds of fight fans flocked to the venue and witnessed a five-hour show of kickboxing and mixed martial arts action.

However, the results for Bridgwater’s 'All or Nothing' club's fighters didn't go all their way with only four coming away with winner's medals, and there were one or two upsets too, so typical of the fight game.

EIGHTEEN-year-old kickboxer Luke Hardwell from Bridgwater kicked off the show with a mature points win over Stuart Smith of Penzance in only his second fight and he displayed a calculated performance that had all three judges in his favour.

LEWIS Jordon then faced a rematch with Lewis Mulhall of Weston. Even though Jordan came back strong in the last round it was a unanimous points win for Mulhall.

Bridgwater Mercury: anita ANITA Godbeer (pictured) from Bridgwater, in her debut fight against Penzance’s Liz Hughes, fought sensibly and used her reach advantage to keep her opponent at distance.

Godbeer kept to this game plan and despite Hughes rallying in the third round, the unanimous decision went to Godbeer.

IN another re-match, Bridgwater’s Ben Nash took on Callum Mason of Newquay; it was Mason who pinched the fight with a split decision.

A third fight between these two could not be ruled out as they are now one apiece.

IKF Southern area kickboxing welterweight champion Rob Ellick was favourite to retain his belt aganist young Ryan Edmunson of Bristol.

However, it wasn’t to be and after three knockdowns referee Mark Woodard had no choice but to stop the fight. Ryan Edmunson was new IKF area champion.

THE mixed martial arts fights started with Bridgwater's light-heavyweight John Allen who lost out to Joe Deeny from Milton Keynes on points.

BRIDGWATER'S Paul Carrot was soon to follow in a lightweight bout against Frenchman Julian Waltz.

Several times it looked almost over for Carrot but he turned the tables and got himself back into the fight.

Waltz was the unanimous points winner after a hard three rounds but Carrot proved a stern test.

Bridgwater Mercury: martin MARTIN Greedy (pictured), representing Bridgwater's All Or Nothing fight team, faced Torquay's Mark Brown.

It was Greedy's leg kicks that made his work more eyecatching and his stand up techniques proved too much for and a unanimous decision went in favour of the home fighter.

A MAJOR upset followed when Taunton's Danny Poulsom, in his pro debut, was beaten by Bournemouth's Andy Kerr.

Poulsom, despite being unhurt, was deemed by the referee to be unable to defend himself while Kerr had him on the floor and the fight was stopped giving Kerr a controversial win.

Bridgwater Mercury: mark FINALLY home favourite Mark Godbeer stepped into the cage where he faced 6ft 7ins French fighter Malik Merad, pictured here.

Merad took the fight to Godbeer and it looked like an early stoppage was on the cards but Godbeer rallied and tied up Merad in a clinch.

But as he attempted a knee he slipped and was on his back where he came under pressure from huge hammer-like punches.

Godbeer refused to give up the fight so quickly though and managed to scramble and defend and finally pull his opponent to the floor, stopping the concussive blows.

As the crowd chanted his name, Godbeer worked hard to attack Merad from underneath with submission attempts turning the fight at a crucial point.

At the start of the second round both fighters were looking to land the big shot and it went to Godbeer after he landed a perfect right hand which rocked his opponent before moving into the clinch where he systematically pressured Merad with punches and knees.

Godbeer then saw his chance hooking Merad around the neck with his arm and pulling him to the floor where he finished the fight with a textbook guillotine choke.

It meant seven wins out of seven for Mark 'The Hand' Godbeer; a thrilling end to a thrilling night.

For details of the next event in the spring contact Arthur Meek 07765-042414.