Western Counties North: Nailsea  and Backwell 15- 21 Bridgwater and Albion

Bridgwater and Albion rounded off their league season in some style with a hard fought victory over second placed Nailsea and Backwell away from home, writes Richard Walsh.

There were plenty of Albion fans on the touchline to cheer the sides third successive victory and the first time they had toppled one of the top clubs this campaign all of which bodes well for next season.

In view of the wet conditions the match was switched from the main ground  and played on sloping pitch which coupled with strong cross winds made the conditions difficult for both sides.

The opening exchanges were even with the early action taking place in midfield but eventually it was Nailsea who were in the ascendancy but the visitors defence coped well with any attacks that threatened their line.

Gradually the visitors got more and more into the game and in the 31st minute they took the lead when Kyran Devitt intercepted a pass and made a strong run up field before the ball went into touch. From the ensuing line out and driving maul Albion were eventually awarded a penalty try because it was pulled down by Nailsea.

The visitors continued on the attack for the rest of the half but there was no further score making it 7-0 at the break.

Four minutes into the second half Albion had Alex Knight yellow carded but despite being a player down they continued to defend well and there was no further addition to the score during this time.

On 55 minutes however Nailsea got themselves onto the scoreboard after pulling Albion off the scrum Wood went over for a try which Chidzey converted.

Albion who were now playing down the slope responded strongly and three minutes later a scrum near the Nailsea line saw Jordan Buller, Tom Hopkins and Lewis Plece all go close before Jake Knight went over for a try that Devitt added the extras to,

The visitors continued to put pressure on the Nailsea defence and after 67 minutes following a series of moves involving Taylor Buller and Jake Knight, the former went over for a try which Devitt converted.

Trailing 21-7 the home side battled back strongly and with 10 minutes left prop Hay scored an unconverted try.

Albion came back strongly with an attack led by Jake Kinght, but it Nailsea defended well and with five minutes remaining they were awarded a penatly which Chidzey converted.

The remaining saw Nailsea pressing hard but again the Albion defence held firm and repelled any scoring chances as they had throughout the game.

This was an impressive victory for Bridgwater and Albion and a good preparation for their Somerset Cup semi final match against Chew Valley that is to be played on Thursday 11th April at Gordano FC kick off 7.30pm.

B&ARFC-Harry Pentelow, Jordan Buller, Alex Hannah, Harrison Cornish, Tom Hopkins, Alex Knight, George Sluman, Taylor Buller.(capt) Jake Knight, Jay Owens, Dan Laing, James Collings, Lewis Plece, Josh Frost and Kyran Devitt.

Replacements- Matt Ranson, Josh Parker and Will Kerry.