Western Counties North: Bridgwater and Albion 55-12 Clevedon RFC

Bridgwater and Albion rounded off their home fixtures in the league with a resounding nine try victory over Clevedon to complete the double against the North Somerset side who remained competitive throughout, writes Richard Walsh.

The opening exchanges of the game were even but after five minutes Jay Owens kicked the ball cross field from his own half that was well caught by Kyran Devitt who sprinted down the right wing to the corner to touch down for the opening try.

Clevedon were straight back into the attack and a series of moves saw them awarded a penalty which was kicked to touch and from the following line out they got close to the line, before the danger was cleared by the Bridgwater defence.

However almost against the run of play on 15 minutes the ball found its way to Lewis Plece who ran to the left hand corner before touching down to double the Bridgwater lead.

Five minutes later Clevedon opened their account when Joe Wood crashed over in the left hand corner following a scrum on the 10 metre line.

On the half hour Bridgwater were awarded a penalty that was kicked to touch on the right and from the line out a driving maul took the pack 25 metres where skipper Taylor Buller went over for a try which Harrison Greenslade converted.

Two minutes later Plece picked the ball up just inside his own half and managed to outpace the Clevedon defenders before scoring a try by the posts which Greenslade added the extras to.

Clevedon retaliated bravely and four minutes later Ray McGough scored a try which was converted.

Right on the stroke of half time a Bridgwater scrum 10 metres from the Clevedon line created a try scoring chance but the ball was spilled touching down, making it 24-12 at the interval.

Within three minutes of the re-start Bridgwater’s lead was extended when the returning Graham Slorance found himself with the ball 30 metres out and charged to the line before touching down for a try, much to the delight of the good sized crowd.

Four minutes later Jay Owens kicked a long clearance down the right wing which Devitt chased and beat the defender to before going over for his second try of the day. Greenslade slotted home a difficult conversion.

Shortly afterwards the hosts created another try scoring opportunity but the ball was dropped going over the line. Bridgwater made no mistake shortly afterwards when another solid attacking move ended with a second try for Taylor Buller which Greenslade converted.

The hosts were very much in the ascendancy by this stage of the game and a driving maul from a line out was finished off when George Sluman scored a try in the left hand corner.

With full time approaching Josh Frost intercepted a pass and ran from the 25 metre line before scoring a try which Greenslade converted making the final score 55-12.

This was the best all round performance of the season by Bridgwater and Albion and will stand them in good stead for their final league game of the season away at high fliers Nailsea and Backwell on Saturday.

The Somerset Cup has now reached the semi finals stage where Bridgwater and Albion will face Chew Valley at Gordano RFC on Thursday 11th April kick off 7.30pm.

Bridgwater and Albion Colts have won through to the semi finals of the Somerset County Cup in which they host Keynsham on Sunday 7th April. Later that same day the Women’s XV play their final league match at home to Cheddar Valley Cats.