Western Counties League NorthBridgwater & Albion 23-12 Midsomer Norton

Bridgwater and Albion recorded the double over Midsomer Norton when the two sides met at College Way on Saturday, but the hosts had to dig deep to win a game that was combative and competitive from start to finish, writes Richard Walsh.

The match was refereed by a member of the German RFU Society as part of a reciprocal arrangement with the Somerset RFU.

Benedikt Niklas travelled over from Hamburg specifically to officiate in this game and carried out his duties well.

The match started with a strong wind blowing down the ground and it was the home side who grabbed the early initiative when Harrison Greenslade slotted home a penalty after five minutes.

Midsomer Norton responded fiercely and were soon creating pressure on the Bridgwater defence which held firm.

After 12 minutes of play Bridgwater mounted another attack, and an infringement in front of the posts led to the award of another penalty that Greenslade kicked to double the hosts lead.

Norton got themselves onto the scoreboard after 17 minutes of play when Hugh Jeffries picked up the ball deep in his own half and proceeded to run the length of the pitch, fending off a number of tackles before touching down for a try which Rideout converted.

Bridgwater came back strongly and after 22 minutes crossed the Norton try line, but were unable to ground the ball.

The final 15 minutes of the first half were played in heavy rain accompanied by strong winds during which both sides had forays in the oppositions half but there was no further score making it 6-7 at the interval.

The second half started with Bridgwater attacking from the off but after failing to make the most of two scoring opportunities it was Norton who extended their lead when after six minutes a strong move down the right wing saw Scott Anderson go over for a try in the corner, making the score 6-12.

This try to seemed to energise the Bridgwater who stepped up a gear and started to play with real passion and commitment.

The hosts mounted several attacks each of which was repelled until on 55 minutes their hard work was rewarded when Jake Knight crashed over from close range for a try which Greenslade converted.

Bridgwater created a further period of pressure and after several minutes camped in Norton territory Tom Hopkins ran in from 10 metres to score a try to the right of the posts, making the score 18-12.

Norton continued to threaten each time they got the ball but with a few minutes remaining Bridgwater kicked a penalty to touch near the left hand corner and from the ensuing line out the ball found its way across to Josh Frost on the right who went over in the corner to make the final score 23-12. 

B&ARFC- Harry Pentelow, Gavin Knight, Alex Hannah, Harrison Cornish, Josh Parker, Alex Knight, Finlay White, Taylor Buller (capt) Jake Knight, Jay Owens, Dan Lang, Cam Hellier, Josh Frost, Kyran Devitt and Harrison Greenslade.

Replacements all used- Jordan Buller, George Sluman and Tom Hopkins.

Bridgwater and Albion's final home game of the season is against Clevedon on Saturday March 30th starting at 2.30pm.