Toolstation Western League: Oldland Abbotonians 1-7 Bridgwater United

After the exhilaration of the Isuzu FA Vase win at Farnham and the disappointment of the late postponement of the Ilfracombe Town game last weekend, ‘The Robins’ were on the road for a first time visit to Oldland Abbotonians.

Despite plenty of challenges in the previous a weeks, the hosts were able to ensure the game could go ahead, albeit in extremely heavy conditions.

The visitors were quickly pushing forward looking to put the Oldland backline under pressure as Tom Llewellyn and George King ‘pulled the strings’ in midfield ensuring that the speedy Jack Thorne and Adam Wright were a constant threat both down the flanks and through the middle.

The United faithful did not have long to wait for this pressure to pay off as Thorne stuck home at the far post after 12 minutes and then, after great work by Wright and Jay Murray, quickly made it two.

At this point, supporters of both sides were likely wondering just how many the home side would ship as United continue to create chance after chance.

However, after several last-ditch blocks and tackles thwarted further goal attempts, Oldland began to make progress down both flanks, a few of which saw Isaac Finch brought into action for the first time.

As the half hour mark approached, a corner from the right was met with a glancing header by the Oldland left back to halve the deficit.

After this setback, a distinct step up in tempo was evident as United pushed forward with pace and guile.

With the interval approaching, Morgan Williams, as busy as ever, drove into the box to be unceremoniously upended. Jay Murray stepped up for the resultant penalty, only to see his effort thwarted by Archie Didcot in the Oldland goal.

As the second period began it was evident that the home side had been ‘encouraged’ to be far more physical in their approach. As the tackles flew in, the cautions began to pile up for ‘The O’s.’

With the United back line of Fin Hoppa, Mark Armstrong, Dave Thorne, and Jake Llewellyn untroubled, they continued to press high and reaped their rewards, as with less than an hour gone, quick fire goals from Wright and Murray ensured the game was won.

A raft of substitutions followed with the fresh legs of Ben Griffiths, Jack Taylor, Josh Phillips, and Josiah McKayle creating mayhem as the goal threat intensified.

It was no surprise to see Taylor acrobatically smash home the United 5th which was quickly followed by two thumping left foot strikes from McKayle, ensuring the final scoreline reflected ‘The Robin’s’ dominance.

Attention now turns to the challenge of the Somerset FA Premier Cup quarter final at Wordsworth Drive v Step 2 Taunton Town on Tuesday 30th January 19:45.