Toolstation Western League: Bridgwater United 0-1 Clevedon Town

BRIDGWATER United's final game of 2023 ended in defeat at home as table toppers Clevedon Town stole the three points late on.

The result means the Robins end the year in third place in the Toolstation Western League table while Clevedon end 2023 at the summit.

In the match, both sides created chances but it was largely played in the middle of the park as it was a cagey affair.

The goal came in the sixth minute of extra time as Sam Beresford capitalised on a rebound to fire home the winner.

It was a largely unchanged line up for Bridgwater however George King started ahead of Griffiths in the midfield.

The hosts were straight on the offense to start the match as Jay Murray went close in the first minute with a shot that slammed into the side-netting.

However Clevedon headed straight down the other end with their first attack of the match and tested Finch in goal but it was well held by the young keeper.

Soon after Jack Thorne beat his man for pace out on the right flank and squared it for Murray, who saw his shot saved low by the Clevedon keeper.

A lot of the action was happening at Bridgwater's attacking end but they hosts were unable to find a break through and capitalise on the chances.

Instead, Clevedon weathered the storm and frustrated the Robins as was clear in the 24th minute when Harry Horton was shown a yellow card for a poor challenge.

There were more chances for Bridgwater in the first half; George King saw his free kick saved, Jake Lewellyn's shot went narrowly wide and Murray was played through again.

However, the visitors held firm and at half time the score remained 0-0. Just before the break Horton was subbed off due to an injury and was replaced by Ben Griffiths.

In the second half there were fewer chances to score as both sides began to close down a little.

Half way through the half, Murray produced a beautiful touch to lay off Morgan Williams who hit his shot into the stand.

And soon after Mark Armstrong headed the ball over from close range with what was perhaps the chance of the match.

But come extra time it looked the match would end in a bore draw as time was running out.

Yet, in the 96th minute, Elliot Nicholson's shot rebounded off the bar and Beresford reacted quickest to bundle the ball into the net and make it 0-1 to Clevedon Town.

The final whistle blew shortly after and the Seasiders had snatched three points from Bridgwater in a match that perhaps could have gone the other way.

Up next for Bridgwater United is an away trip to Falmouth Town on January 6 where they will look to bounce back with a win.