Somerset Premier Cup: Paulton Rovers 0-3 Bridgwater United

BRIDGWATER United's match against Oldland Abbotonions on Saturday was cancelled due to a water-logged pitch, but earlier last week they progressed in the Somerset Cup.

On Tuesday (December 5), the Robins defeated Paulton Rovers 3-0 away from home to advance in the competition.

Bridgwater looked good in the win against a team in a division higher than the Toolstation Premier League.

Early on, Rovers went close early on when Neil Martin found Ed Butcher, whose cross was cut out just before Kyle Tooze could make contact.

However as the half progressed, Rovers started to get sloppy and Bridgwater began to take a hold on the match.

They pressed high and cut-out seemingly straight forward passes and only last ditch stops or good saves by young Rovers keeper, Alfie Hamblin, kept the score level.

The deadlock was broken in the 41st minute when Ben Griffiths easily turned in a corner at the near post.

At the break it was 1-0 and going into the second half the Robins looked to keep the pressure on.

The second goal came early in the second half, as Bridgwater moved the ball forward quickly, Adam Wright was able to stride in and turn the ball home.

Shouts for the Rovers reaction came from all over the pitch and it nearly worked as two minutes later, Dan McBeam fed Kyle Tooze but his close range effort was knocked wide by the keeper.

Paulton had a brief spell of dominance after that chance but the Bridgwater back line was solid and held them out time and time again.

The game was made safe for Bridgwater in the 60th minute when another defence spitting pass found Jay Murray.

With the Rovers defence scrabbling back, Murray turned back inside and from the edge of the box, smashed the ball in off the post.

With the game effectively won, Bridgwater lifted their foot off the gas which allowed Rovers to get more time on the ball and they started to press forward more in the final few minutes.

But too often the final ball was poor and the visitors keeper remained untroubled for most of the rest of the game.

All in all a very big scalp for the Robins who will now look to continue that form in the next round of the competition in the New Year.