Isuzu FA Vase: Royal Wootton Bassett 2-2 (6-7 pens) Bridgwater United

BRIDGWATER United triumphed in the Isuzu FA Vase on Saturday (December 2) away from home against Royal Wootton Bassett.

In a dramatic match played in heavy fog at Sustain Stadium, the two sides couldn't be split at full time 2-2, so it took penalties to decide it and Bridgwater came out on top.

The win takes the the Robins to the Fourth Round of the competition meaning they have reached at least the Vase fourth round four seasons running, with a fifth round appearance last year.

Bassett had led after just ten minutes after captain Adam Corcoran delivered the goods, wrong-footing Isaac Finch in the Bridgwater goal.

But after going behind Bridgwater quickly turned the tide as they began creating chances at will.

Bridgwater came close to an equaliser when Harry Horton's header rattled the post, and then George King also fired narrowly over with a firm drive from outside the area.

The visitors pressure eventually paid as on the stroke of half time Horton launched a long range effort that flew into the back of the net to make it 1-1.

Having scored just before the break, Bridgwater then went ahead immediately after the restart as King thumped in from similar range to Horton.

The hosts were forced to chase an equaliser which helped the game open up and the teams exchanged chances as the second half progressed.

It looked as though Bridgwater had hung on but deep in injury time, the hosts' efforts to get back on terms rewarded when substitute Alan Griffin tapped in from a corner.

This meant the final score was 2-2 and it would take penalties to decide the winner.

Penalties started in a relatively routine manner as Scott Chilcott and Ben Griffiths both converted.

But Finch then saved from Griffin and Tom Llewellyn scored to give Bridgwater an early break.

Bailey Gallagher and Jack Thorne put away their teams' third round of kicks before Jack Hobson-McVeigh scored to open up the fourth.

Bassett's keeper Brown denied Jake Llewellyn and then Alfie Presley and Murray then kept their nerve, forcing sudden death.

Tommy Ouldridge ballooned his kick over the bar for Bassett, but Brown bailed his team out, saving from Morgan Williams.

After Connor Waldon and Horton were successful it was then Isaac Finch's turn to play hero, keeping out Jowan Partridge's effort.

Quick then stepped up for his team's to score the winning penalty for Bridgwater and celebrations ensued as they had progressed to the next round of the competition.

The Robins would have preferred to have won the game in normal time but nonetheless they got the job done and will now be waiting to see who they draw in the Fourth Round.