Western Counties (North): Bridgwater & Albion RFC 29-0 Barton Hill

BRIDGWATER and Albion made it two wins in a row for the first time in a while when they proved too much of a handful for Barton Hill and scored five tries to earn a bonus point. 

A brace of second half tries for the returning Kyran Devitt was the icing on the cake against a team who were dominated by their forwards who ran out of steam as the game went on  and had the fleet footed hosts made the most of their chances the margin of victory could easily have been greater.

Bridgwater dominated their opening passages of play and created early pressure on the Barton Hill line but the final pass went to ground.

Almost a quarter of an hour had passed before the visitors made their first skirmish into Albion territory but the danger was cleared.

The hosts then countered well and worked their way deep into Barton HIll territory where they earned a penalty which was taken quickly and played to Jay Owens who went over in the left hand corner for an unconverted try.

The visitors replied strongly and mounted a series of attacks on the Bridgwater line, but on each occasion the home defence held firm.

As the clock ticked down tom half time Barton Hill were awarded several penalties which on each occasion was kicked to touch close to the Bridgwater line, but try as they may the visitors were unable to cross the line and the half time score remained 5-0 to the hosts.

The Albion came out from the interval all guns blazing and almost from the kick off the ball found Lewis Plece who made a strong run down the right before touching down for a try behind the posts which Harrison Greenslade added the extras to.

The hosts continued to press forward and on 55 minutes number 8 Harrison Cornish made a strong run and was rewarded with a try to extend the lead.

The longer the game went on the more telling the Albion attacks became and after the ball was worked well across the backs the ball found Devitt out on the left who went over for an unconverted try.

On half an hour captain George Sluman charged through the middle and appeared to touch down for a try, but the score was disallowed.

In the dying minutes of the game Bridgwater were very much in the ascendancy and once again the ball was worked well across the backs before it found Devitt on the left who went over for his second try which Greenslade duly converted, to make the final score 29-0.

On Saturday the Albion travel to Bristol to face Old Redcliffians who are likely to prove much tougher opponents, but this years side look well organised and are playing well for each other so it will be interesting to see how they fair.