Toolstation Western League: Street FC 1-3 Bridgwater United

BRIDGWATER United picked up an impressive away win in some action-packed Friday night football against local rivals Street FC, writes Mark Hollidge.

It may have gone under the radar for some but going into this game Street were unbeaten in 18 league matches. 

The last time that they tasted defeat was at Barnstaple on February 18th – a phenomenal run of form. So United’s win should be seen as highly significant and worthy of praise. 

New signing Jay Murray started for United and took up his role on the right side of the attack. He will prove to be a fine acquisition and he was able to mark an industrious performance with a well taken goal. 

The first half had plenty of industry but not a lot of end product. A motivated home side sought to squeeze the life out of what is normally a very effective midfield unit for the Robins.

And at the break the score remained Street 0, United 0.

United aren’t used to goalless first halves and they determined to do something about that as soon as the second half got going. 

How many times have United scored from Jake Llewellyn corner kicks this season? Well, here was another one. This time his corner kick was powered into the net by the head of the redoubtable Jacob Spence. 

Another 6 minutes of domination were concluded with the second goal. 

Viney should claim an assist for this one because his raking diagonal ball from his own penalty area released the rapid Jack Thorne down the right.

Many wouldn’t have kept the ball in play but he did. Even better, he whacked over a cross which was aimed for Murray. He may not be very tall but he can certainly jump high and his looped header went over Jason Hutchins and under the bar.

However, despite the dominance the home team pulled one back. There are still some frailties in United’s defensive effort and it was hard to understand why Kyle Strange was unmarked as he headed a right wing cross across Viney and inside the right post. 

It wasn’t exactly good news to hear the referee say that 10 min were to be added on (6 in the first half).

United made better use of the denouement of the match and poached the settling third goal. 

Jack Taylor is still quick off the mark and he beat both defender and Hutchins to a ball that was flicked forwards. Hutchins scythed him down, was lucky to avoid a red card, and United had the spot kick. Taylor converted it by sending the keeper the wrong way.

Next up is Clevedon away next Friday in the Les Phillips Cup.