Sidmouth 58-8 Bridgwater and Albion

This was very much a game of two halves with the home side, dominating the first and Bridgwater having more than their fair share of the second, but at the end of it all it was Sidmouth who ran out the comfortable winners, writes Richard Walsh.

Sidmouth kicked off down the slope and within three minutes took the lead following a move across the back row Asa Unsworth went over for a try in the left hand corner. 

The lead was extended when Cole Monohan kicked two penalties in quick succession and then on the 15 minute mark Tom Hodge scored a try which the same kicker converted.

Bridgwater regrouped and made their first real incursion into home territory, but short of the line it was halted when Sidmouth were awarded a penalty, the reason for which appeared unclear to those watching. The visitors however came back again and were rewarded when Tom Steer slotted home a penalty making the score 18-3.

On 34 minutes Bridgwater had Jordan Buller yellow carded for a high tackle and during his absence  Sidmouth took full advantage and scored three tries, two of which were converted.

Just before the interval Sidmouth scored another converted try, making the score 44-3 at half time.

The first period of play of the second half was very evenly contested but after 50 minutes Cameron Grainger scored a try that Monohan converted to bring up the Sidmouth half century.

Bridgwater heads didn’t go down and they were given a confidence boost when winger Richard Bright displayed some of his magic when he ran from deep in his own half to score a try in the left hand corner, which delighted not only his team mates but also the large number of travelling fans.

The visitors were in the ascendancy for the first time in the game and following a line out and drive they crossed the Sidmouth try line only for their effort to be held up, while on a couple of other occasions they were thwarted when their final pass went to ground.

With less than 10 minutes of the game remaining against the run of play James Emmett seized on a loose ball in his own half and chased it all the way to the Bridgwater line where he scored a try.

Going into the final stages of the game there was an altercation involving players from both sides at the end of which three players were yellow carded- Josh Bess and Rob Griffin for Sidmouth and Gavin Knight for the visitors.

The final period of play saw Bridgwater on the attack, but without success and when the whistle finally went the score was 58-8 to the home side.

Bridgwater will take heart from their second half performance when they deserved to score more points, but on this occasion were beaten by a very slick and well organised side.

This Saturday afternoon Bridgwater and Albion host Truro at College Way where the match kicks off at 2.30pm.