Bridgwater & Albion 16-15 Sidmouth

Bridgwater and Albion picked themselves up from their heavy defeat last weekend to produce their best performance of the season to date on Friday evening at College Way when they beat Sidmouth 16-15.

There were firework displays lighting up the skies all around, but the Bridgy boys produced their own special brand of entertainment to match anything else that was on offer. 

The loud cheer that went up from both the players and supporters at the final whistle, and the reception the 18 man squad received from the large crowd when they walked off afterwards spoke reams about the passion and support that there is for the club.

The hosts kicked off and right from the start they were onto the attack ,but the danger was cleared by the Sidmouth defence.It was then the turn of the visitors to come forward but Bridgwater defended well, as they did all through the match and saw off the danger.

On 15 minutes Sidmouth were reduced to 14 when they had one of their players yellow carded, but despite the disadvantage they kept on the offensive and two minutes later were awarded a penalty which was missed.

With 20 minutes gone the hosts were also down to 14 players when James Collins was carded for foul play. Sidmouth were awarded another penalty in a very kickable position but it was again missed.

After a period of even play on 35 minutes it was Bridgwater who took the lead when Tom Steer slotted home a penalty.

Shortly afterwards the hosts extended their lead with a show of class from Richard Bright who caught a high clearance just inside the Sidmouth half, turned, beat the defender and managed to touch down right by the corner flag.

Sidmouth got themselves onto the scoresheet three minutes later when they were awarded another penalty, just inside the Bridgwater half, this time for off side which Dan Retter kicked. Right on the stroke of half time Sidmouth were awarded another penalty-again for offside which Retter kicked to make the half time score 8-6.

Almost from the start Sidmouth were awarded another penalty which Retter kicked to put his side into the lead for the first time.

Bridgwater came straight back into the attack and found themselves camped close to the visitors line. They were awarded two scrums and from the second looked to have scored a try, which was disallowed by the referee.

However from almost the next move Chris Tong broke through the defence and touched down in the left hand corner which made the score 13-9.

All of the Bridgwater players were putting in a good shift, and giving it their all but they were up against a Sidmouth side who started the day in fourth place, and did all they could to disrupt them.

In the space of the next 10 minutes the visitors were awarded two penalties both of which Retter kicked which put Sidmouth into a13-15 lead going into the final 10 minutes.

The last few minutes were tense as Bridgwater pressed hard to regain the lead which eventually they did when Steer kicked a long distance penalty to make the score 16-15 which is how the match ended.

This was a match to savour on a chilly Friday evening and a result that will give the side renewed confidence going into the rest of the season, and certainly delighted the home supporters.