Bridgwater United 0-0 Gillingham

IN windy and wet conditions on Sunday, Bridgwater United dominated possession and chances for 90 minutes of football only to draw 0-0 with Gillingham in the FA Women's National League.

The match at Fairfax Park featured a number of strong defensive performances for Bridgwater but the side lacked that critical edge going forward.

In the opening exchanges Gillingham did create a clear chance to which Bethany-May Howard was resolute to, she showed once again in this game why she is highly rated between the sticks.

After that chance however Bridgwater were on top and driving forward quite regularly.

Ffion Lewellyn and Amy Goddard dictated play from the back and Charlotte Buxton and Holly Chandler were making appropriate runs forward from full back positions.

The first shot on target for Bridgwater came from a Laura Holden effort at range; the Gillingham keeper was forced into a decent save.

Captain Leah Burridge followed suit shortly after however her strike went narrowly over the bar.

There were few more efforts on target in the first half but that wasn't because Bridgwater couldn't get forward.

Bridgwater Mercury: Goal mouth scramble (Pics: Craig Blake)

In fact the majority of the first half was played in the opposition side of the pitch, United were winning corners and close-range free kicks but just could not find the back of the net.

Going into the second period Bridgwater continued on in the same way, driving forward looking for a goal.

Gillingham created one or two more chances but it has to be said, the rock solid defence from Bridgwater did not look like they would be beaten.

Laura Holden was replaced by Sydney Hinchcliffe and shortly after Jasmine Turner came on for Meesha Dudley-Jones, the pair looking to provide some fresh legs going forward.

The Gillingham keeper was under pressure but never truly tested until the 80th minute.

Emily Wilson-White was played in behind by Burridge, she showed her pace and skill to get the ball on to her left foot before shooting, the deflected shot was then parried by the goalkeeper.

There was a few more efforts from Bridgwater but the deadlock remained unbroken and the final score was as it started, 0-0.

Up next, Bridgwater are at home once more on February 13, against Southampton in the league, kick off is 2pm.