BRIDGWATER United won a dramatic match 2-3 away against Cadbury Heath on Saturday in the Toolstation Western League, writes Mark Hollidge.

The first half contained five goals and a sending off however the second period was a rather lacklustre affair where not very much happened for a long time. 

When Dan Winstone jumped into a two footed tackle on Ryan Brereton just before half time it looked like United, already leading 3-2, would have a comfortable second half and would probably add some more goals. 

In fact, Winstone’s straight red card seemed to galvanise the home club and they managed their player deficiency very well. 

Conversely United seemed to withdraw into their shell and, in the end, they nearly paid the price.

The first half was rich in entertainment; United started with great pace and purpose and had Cadbury Heath back-pedalling right from the off. 

In the 7th minute United went ahead; Tom Llewellyn passed to Brereton on the left wing and his low cross was spilled by keeper Jordan Schofield right at the feet of the predatory Taylor who did the rest. 

Bridgwater Mercury: Jack Taylor celebrates a goal (Photo: Debbie Gould)Jack Taylor celebrates a goal (Photo: Debbie Gould)

After another four minutes, United were sitting on a two goal cushion.

United were closing down the opposition with good energy and forcing them into error, Morgan Williams picked up the loose ball and then calmly placed a low shot into the right corner of the net. 

Cadbury Heath pulled one back when Matt Huxley's shot was parried by debutant keeper Callum Plaistow and John Invernizzi pounced on the rebound.

But it only took two minutes before United re-established a two goal advantage, Sam Hedges rose highest at the far post to head a Jake Llewellyn cross into the roof of the net.

In what was only their second goal threat of the first half Cadbury Heath scored their second goal.

The ball was neatly lifted over the United back line into no man’s land and Huxley stole into the space and side footed past Plaistow for a quality finish.

Five minutes before half time Winstone’s hot-headed foul on Brereton felt like the final nail in the Cadbury Heath coffin as they were down to ten men. 

The second half was forgettable from a United perspective; at no time did it seem that United had the extra man. 

Cadbury Heath rose to the challenge and had the lion’s share of possession, but they found it difficult to fashion goal chances, in spite of some excellent approach play by former Robin Josh Williams. 

The home side pressed forward in the last few minutes as they sensed that an unlikely point might be salvaged but Bridgwater hung on.

Some lovely football was played by Bridgwater in the first half and another win sees them continue their strong form.

Up next is the FA Vase match at Fairfax Park against Bashley. kick off for that game is 3pm Saturday December 11.