BRIDGWATER United have beaten rivals Wellington AFC 3-0 in the Toolstation Western League thanks to an incredible Tom Llewellyn goal from the halfway line.

All three goals came in the second half at the match at The Playing Field in Wellington.

George King opened the scoring with a fine curved finish in the 57th minute, Llewellyn then made it two in the 66th and Jack Taylor sealed the win from the penalty spot in the 95th minute.

Bridgwater manager Dave Pearse said he knew it would be a tough derby and is pleased with the result.

"I am delighted with that result, we always struggle against Wellington as they are a good side."

"It is good to win the derby but it is important now to be consistent and carry on our run, we have won three from our last three now," Pearse said.


The match started how you would expect a local derby to; the opening exchanges were very tense and some hard challenges were coming in from both sides.

In the first half chances were at a premium and neither team managed to create much, however Mike Duffy from Bridgwater came close.

Wellington did force Jake Viney to make an impressive save; Douglas Camilo launched a fine shot from the edge of the box and the keeper just kept it out.

Into the second half and the game opened up a lot more, with both sides creating more, however Bridgwater managed to make the most of their chances.

Adnan Hiroli made a fine run and played a fine ball across to George King who swiftly converted into the corner which opened the scoring.

It wasn't long until it was 2-0, but surely nobody could see the goal coming in the way it did.

Tom Llewellyn picked up the ball just inside his own half and decided to shoot, in fairness Shay Allen was well off his line and he couldn't recover in time and the ball sailed in.

An easy shout for goal of the season from the fan favourite Llewellyn.

Wellington then forced the issue in their pursuit to get back into the game however the Bridgwater defence stood strong.

It looked as though the match would end 2-0 until in Jack Taylor was brought down in the box in the second minute of added time.

He stepped up and Allen saved, however the referee signalled for it to be retaken as the keeper was off his line.

Taylor calmly converted the second penalty attempt and let the keeper know he wasn't too impressed with his antics.

The final whistle went just moments after and Bridgwater took home the three points and the local bragging rights.

This result sees Bridgwater climb to seventh in the league table and Wellington drop to 15th.

Up next for Bridgwater is a home match on Friday October 22 against Tavistock, kick off 7:45pm.

For Wellington they travel to Millbrook on Saturday October 23, kick off 3pm.