IN the almost 90 years since Enmore Park Golf Club was first established, it has developed from a nine-hole course with a cricket pavilion for a clubhouse and a shed for a pro shop, into one of the most highly regarded parkland courses, with facilities to match, in the South West, writes Richard Walsh.

Anyone from the early days who returned to see the club in its current state would be amazed at the transformation.

Probably the biggest change that has taken place in recent years has been the new clubhouse that was officially opened in 1991.

The original clubhouse moved with the club when it relocated to the current site on the edge of the Quantock Hills from Cannington in 1932, and underwent several extensions and improvements over the years until it was eventually replaced.

Looking back through the annals of Enmore, the state of the clubhouse seems to have been an ongoing saga, and as long ago as the early 1970s the inadequacies of the accommodation and condition led to plans being drawn up to build a replacement.

However, when it became clear that the cost of the development would be in excess of £200k, the project was shelved.

In the 1970s minor improvements were made to the old clubhouse facility, with a patio built at the front, but the dissatisfaction continued.

In 1983 a 10-year development action plan for the replacement of the clubhouse and new changing rooms, at a total cost of £300k, was put in place.

Eventually the project came to fruition and on August 5, 1991 Mr Tony Hill - the president of the English Golf Union - officially opened the new clubhouse.

Since then the course and facilities at Enmore have continued to be improved to keep pace with the demands of the 21st century.

Now all members want is to be able to get out and enjoy the course again!