Buildbase FA Vase
Second round
Bridgwater Town 2, Saltash United 0 (aet)

STEVE Murray scored twice in extra time to lead Bridgwater Town into the third round of the FA Vase, as Saltash United were seen off at the third time of asking.

The tie had been postponed twice in Cornwall, then moved to a Wednesday night kick-off at Bridgwater's Fairfax Park, and finally the Robins were able to progress to the next round, where they will face Bradford Town.

Murray may have got the goals, but it was home goalkeeper Jake Viney who was the key man for much of the match.

South West Peninsula side Saltash have scored 100 goals in 22 games so far this season, and they were the most threatening side early on.

Viney had to be alert to deny Ryan Richards, blocking with his legs, and then dived full length to keep out another Richards shot which looked destined for the bottom right-hand corner.

It took Bridgwater 20 minutes to really get going, and Murray's lob landed a yard wide after a defensive mishap at the Saltash end.

But the visitors remained a potent threat, and Shaun Cleary prodded the ball towards goal from close range, only for Viney to save with his legs again.

They had the best chances at the start of the second half, too, with Viney diving low to his right to dent Richards, who also saw a rising drive fisted away by the keeper.

Fortunate not to be trailing, the home side began to create chances again, with Dave Pearse seeing a shot blocked in front of the goal-line and Jake Brown heading over from a Finley Wilkinson corner.

After a couple of vital blocks from Ross McErlain and Mark Armstrong, Callum Martindale sent a presentable chance wide, and extra time beckoned.

The Robins almost went ahead 10 minutes into the extra 30, as Jake Llwellyn's corner was flicked towards goal but hacked off the line, and two minutes after that the deadlock was finally broken.

Dave O'Hare sent a well-measured pass through to set up Murray, who rounded goalkeeper Ryan Rickard and tucked the ball home.

Just two minutes later, again, it was Murray who stunned Saltash, picking up a Harry Horton pass and dinking the ball over the keeper.

The game had an undignified ending, with both team's right-backs – David Barker and Dave Thorne – being sent off, Thorne's for a second yellow card.

Bridgwater Town: Jake Viney, Dave Thorne, Finley Wilkinson (Nathan Byrne 110), Mark Armstrong (c), Tom Ellis (Dave Pearse 46, Jake Llewellyn 97), Ross McErlain, Sam Towler, Dave O’Hare, Steve Murray, Jake Brown, Harry Horton.

After a truly gripping contest, Bridgwater can now look ahead to a third-round tie away to current Western League leaders Bradford Town, on Saturday, November 30.

Before that, the Robins travel to Shepton Mallet for their next league match, this Saturday (ko 3pm).