Toolstation Western League Premier Division

Cadbury Heath 3, Bridgwater Town 3

‘The Robins’ two most recent visits to Springfield had produced a total of 10 goals, so it was probably little surprise that this scintillating encounter, on a perfect early Autumn evening, once again produced some rich entertainment, writes Bob Buckingham.

On an excellent surface, the game started at high tempo as half chances fell to both sides.

teve Murray was the first to test the home side's ‘keeper with a snap shot quickly followed, at the other end, with a cross to the far post that the onrushing striker volleyed wide.

It was Murray again a few minutes later creating space on the edge of the area only to see his effort brilliantly saved to keep the scores level.

The home side continued to threaten down the left channel with Enis Akgun looking a constant threat in the early stages.

The threat soon became more serious as he cut inside and struck a crisp shot across Jake Viney and into the far corner to put his side ahead.

As the first period progressed, Town pushed forward in search of the equaliser with the twin strike force of Jack Taylor and Murray causing problems at will.

It was Murray again who looked to have levelled the scores only to see his shot cleared off the line, a feat matched by Ross McErlain just minutes later as the Heath continued to threaten.

With the half-hour approaching, Taylor and Murray combined well to chase down what appeared to be a lost cause; that created a chance for Dave O’Hare to volley home.

The fast start made by both side was replicated as the second period began with the home side pressing hard to create more opportunities for their excellent young forwards.

Their efforts were soon rewarded as Akgun picked up the ball on the edge of the box and sent his superb curling effort into the top corner giving Viney little chance.

The home side were now dominating.

In response, Finley Wilkinson and Sam Towler were replaced by Jake Brown and Mike Duffy respectively, as the management team looked to tip the balance of play back in their favour.

These changes soon paid dividends as Brown pressed down the left to create mayhem in the home defence and Taylor bundled his cross over the line.

Buoyed by this success, the Robins pushed forwarded again only to see Murray’s lobbed effort bounce off the top of the crossbar when a goal looked certain.

It was now end to end stuff as both sides looked to secure a further breakthrough.

With 15 minutes remaining the outstanding Akgun latched onto to another half chance and drove the ball home to complete a well-deserved hat trick to restore his side's advantage.

Things were now looking grim for the visitors as they struggled to retain possession in the final third and to create meaningful chances.

With just minutes remaining, a change to 3-4-3 created what looked like a final opportunity as a Harry Horton strike fizzed wide of the right hand post.

However, Bridgwater were not to be denied as Brown again burst down the left for Murray to pull the ball  to the irrepressible Taylor, who slammed the ball home for his tenth of the season and secure a share of the spoils when all seemed lost.

Bridgwater Town: Jake Viney, Dave Thorne, Finley Wilkinson (Jake Brown 57), Jake Horsey, Ross McErlain 85, Harry Horton, Sam Towler (Mike Duffy 64), Dave O’Hare, Jake Llewellyn, Jack Taylor, Steve Murray.

Bridgwater are now third in the table going into Saturday's home match with Roman Glass St George.