Uhlsport Somerset County League

Premier Division

Wrington Redhill 0, Middlezoy Rovers 3

AFTER a poor result last week, Middlezoy Rovers were once again on the road as they travelled to Wrington Redhill, the winners of this fixture last season.

The visitors knew they had to be patient and move the ball around with pace, as they came unstuck last year on the counter-attack.

The hosts absorbed a lot of the pressure for the first 10 minutes as Zoy looked to take advantage of early spell of pressure.

But on 17 minutes the away side made the breakthrough as the ball was worked well from left to right, Callum Laird finding Aaron Whaites, who hit a diagonal pass into the onrushing Matt Connick to chip the keeper at his far post.

It was largely Middlezoy possession and pressure, as on 29 minutes some good work saw Alex Clapp, Charlie Lintell and Connick work it well down the left, but this time the latter missed the target.

Zoy then became sloppy for a spell and faced some pressure, but no real clear-cut chances.

On 42 minutes, a corner delivered in by Whaites found Connick at the front post to glance his header to the back post, but Adam Long and Jake Horsey were unable to bundle it home, so the visitors led 1-0 at half time.

It was largely quiet for the start of the second half, as the weather turned and Zoy played possession football.

Zoy got the breakthrough they deserved on 60 minutes, as some great feet from Long down the right led to him to whipping in a cross for Whaites to head home with ease from six yards out for his first goal in two years.

The introduction of Johnny Higgins and Andy Smith gave Middlezoy fresh legs in the boggy conditions and secured an even stronger hold on the game for the Zoy, and it remained quiet as the conditions worsened.

The visitors finally got their third on 89 minutes, as substitute and debutant Liam Winter held the ball up well to whip a ball into the far post for an unmarked Connick to calmly slot home for 3-0.

Man of the match: Aaron Whaites

This Saturday sees Zoy, seventh in the table, host 11th-placed Stockwood Wanderers (ko 2.30pm).

Division 1

Bridgwater Town Res 2, Somerton Town 0

BRIDGWATER Town Reserves got back to winning ways after consecutive defeats to maintain their place at the top of Division 1.

The hosts created several chances in a goalless first half, Lewis Hembery seeing a 25-yard free-kick tipped over before Jamie Moss struck the post.

Hembery was then needed at the other end to acrobatically clear off the line as the sides went in level at the break.

In worsening conditions, the Robins took the lead six minutes into the second half when Josh Champion fired home a volley from the edge of the area.

James Annison made a fine save to keep Town in front before the returning Carl Jones was denied a debut goal by another outstanding stop from the Somerton goalkeeper.

The hosts sealed the win in spectacular style as, with five minutes to play, substitute Callum Ham saw the goalkeeper off his line and exquisitely chipped the ball over him from 45 yards out.

Jones picked up the man of the match award for Town, who sit three points clear of Mendip Broadwalk at the top and make the short trip to Staplegrove this Saturday (2.30pm).

Bridgwater Town Res: James Annison, Lee Begg, Brendan O’Grady, (Luke Taylor 81), Matt Redman; Lewis Hembery, Mike Duffy, (Callum Ham 65) Josh Gracie, Harry Hamblin, Josh Champion; Carl Jones, (Cameron Birch 83), Jamie Moss.

Division 3

Tunley AFC 1, Middlezoy Rovers Res 4

MIDDLEZOY Reserves made it seven wins on the bounce at Tunley on Saturday.

Zoy were rewarded for a bright start on 20 minutes as Craig Wright fed Callum James, who found Scott Capel to poke home from 10 yards.

After the break, Craig Wright’s corner was headed back across goal by Josh Lewis for Lee Graham to power a header home.

They went three up when Craig Wright crossed for Steve Hall to head home from the cross.

Tunley then scored a freak wind-assisted goal but Wright wrapped up the win with Zoy’s fourth late on.

Mom: Craig Wright/Daniel Lismore.