South West One (West)

Bridgwater & Albion 29, Teignmouth 28

A HAT-TRICK from Wayne Sprangle saw Bridgwater and Albion returning to winning ways but they were run close by a Teignmouth side who remained competitive right until the end, writes Richard Walsh.

The hosts had the better of the early play and took the lead after six minutes with a try from returning player-coach Sprangle following a run down the left touchline by Will Monro.

Midway through the half Teignmouth were reduced to 14 men after they had a player yellow carded but shortly afterwards they took the lead when a good break from their own half resulted in Sterling Mallory scoring a try which he then converted.

Bridgwater grabbed back the lead on the half-hour mark thanks to another dazzling run down the touchline from Monro that resulted in the ball being passed to Sprangle, who scored his second try which Stuart Heal converted.

Tom Fournier made a strong break for the hosts and almost reached the try line before he was held up and the danger was eventually cleared.

With four minutes of the half remaining, Monro produced another magical run down the left flank from his own half before offloading to Sprangle who crashed over for his hat-trick try, which made the score 17-7 at the break.

Three minutes after the re-start Teignmouth reduced the arrears when Luke Pattison scored a try which Mallory converted.

Bridgwater then enjoyed a good spell of pressure during which they scored two tries. The first came on the hour when Ryan Barnett went over a for a try under the posts that Heal converted, and five minutes later Ollie Dunn rounded off a good move across the backs when he scored an unconverted try.

Even though they were trailing by 15 points, Teignmouth refused to give up and in the last few minutes of the match they scored two converted tries, the first from George Mowson with two minutes of the game remaining, and the second soon after from George Franklin, both of which Mallory converted to make the final score 29-28 to the hosts.

Albion: Matt Ranson, Gavin Knight, Niell Bezuidenhout, George Musgrave, Dan Kemmish, Gareth Clywd- Jones, Ollie Dunn, Wayne Sprangle, Tom Fournier d’ Albe, Stuart Heal (capt), Kyran Devitt, Taylor Buller, Ryan Barnett, Will Monro and James Collings

Replacements: Craig Blyde, Ethan Trebble- Westlake (both used), Matt House

South West 1 (W)

Devonport Services 43, North Petherton 24

NORTH Petherton's recent momentum was halted as the visitors saw a lead slip from their grasp at Devonport on Saturday.

Pethy flew out the traps and took a 12-0 lead and, though they were then pegged back, then scored again to move 19-12 ahead.

James Taylor, Damian Griffin and Aaron Gibbs were Pethy's first half try scorers, with Tom Wyatt adding two conversions, but Services started the second half stronger with two tries that put them ahead.

Adam Wright's try reduced the deficit to two points but the hosts pulled away thereafter, with a drop goal and two converted tries taking the winning margin to 43-24.