Toolstation Western League Premier Division
Chipping Sodbury Town 4, Bridgwater Town 4

BRIDGWATER Town striker Jack Taylor netted four times but the Robins failed to end their season with victory after being pegged back late on at Chipping Sodbury Town, writes Bob Buckingham.

After the disappointment of their defeat on penalties in the Les Phillips Cup semi-final on Monday, the Robins travelled to South Gloucestershire determined to conclude an exciting season on a high.

In conditions reminiscent of high summer, both sides started the game at high tempo with the hosts having an early chance blocked at full stretch by Dave Thorne.

As the game progressed, Town began to dominate possession and created several early half chances for strikers Taylor and Camper.

However, on 16 minutes, loose marking saw the home centre-back gifted a free header from which he made no mistake to give his side an early lead.

Undaunted by this setback, the visitors pushed forward purposefully resulting in the award of a free kick 25 yards out and on the edge of the area.

Jack Jenkins’ effort was clipped to the top corner but much to the relief of Sam Burgess in the home goal, the ball struck the top of the post and rebounded to safety.

This let-off was short lived as the unexpectedly available Jack Taylor was soon rounding the ‘keeper to draw the scores level.

Buoyed by this effort, the travelling supporters were in high spirits and expecting their side to go on to dominate the game and secure the three points.

Unfortunately, the home side had other ideas and within minutes they were ahead again as a searching ball over the top saw their striker lob the stranded Jake Viney for 2-1.

With play switching from end to end, further half chances were created by both sides in what was now an exciting encounter, but it was Town who produced an intricate one touch play involving Kurt Robinson, Jake Llewellyn and Syd Camper with Jack Taylor getting the final touch to, once again, draw the scores level with just 30 minutes gone.

More chances for both sides followed, but the defensive pairing of Charlie White and Ben Palmer snuffed out several promising raids from the home side with the Sods’ defence doing likewise.

Bridgwater started the second half with Jack Jenkins, Mike Duffy and Harry Horton working tirelessly in midfield to gain and regain possession.

Within minutes of the restart, that man Taylor was latching onto an exquisite through ball from Jenkins to secure his hat-trick.

Just six minutes later, after more quality play, Taylor turned sharply in the box to score his and Town’s fourth of the afternoon.

As the tempo of the game slowed, yet more chances came and went as Llewellyn and Thorne were replaced by Dave Pearse and Tom Stone respectively.

With less than 10 minutes remaining, the visitors created another huge chance with Viney saving well from the prolific George Box and the rebound blasted over the bar.

Within a minute, further pressure and a defensive slip saw the home side pull another goal back to make it 3-4.

Clearly encouraged, the hosts were now in the ascendency and Box levelled the scores with just a few minutes remaining.

Despite the best efforts of both sides, no further chances were created and an exhilarating, exciting encounter ended at 4-4.

Although the result may have felt a little like a defeat, the management Team and whole squad can feel justifiably proud of their efforts in this game and the season as a whole.

Bridgwater Town: Jake Viney, Kurt Robinson, Ben Palmer, Charlie White, Dave Thorne, (Tom Stone 68), Mike Duffy, Jack Jenkins, Harry Horton, Jake Llewellyn, (Dave Pearse 63), Syd Camper, Jack Taylor.