Toolstation Western League Premier Division

Bridgwater Town 5, Wells City 0

AN excellent all-round display by Bridgwater Town saw them sweep aside struggling Wells City at Fairfax Park and extend their winning run to four matches.

First-half goals by Mike Duffy, Jack Taylor and Harry Horton were followed up by Syd Camper and another from Horton after the break as the in-form Robins ran riot.

From the outset it was clear which team had won three games in a row and which had earned one point from a possible 27, as the hosts kept the ball with ease and came close when Harry Horton saw his flick from Camper's cross brilliantly kept out by Mike Dangerfield.

It took a penalty to open the floodgates, as Dave Thorne set off on a rampaging run from right-back and the ball found its way to Jack Taylor in the box.

The frontman was bundled over and Mike Duffy stepped up - the midfielder saw his spot-kick saved but converted the rebound with a minimum of fuss.

It was a lead the Robins never looked like relinquishing and - in the first half in particular - Town made light of the sticky pitch to put together some lovely moves in the Wells half, with Duffy and Jack Jenkins pulling the strings in the centre of the park and Dave Pearse linking play between the visiting defence and midfield.

One such easy on the eye attack could have led to a second, as Jack Taylor's effort from Kurt Robinson's cross was cleared off the line after a neat build-up involving numerous players.

Taylor was then played through by Camper for a chance the striker would often bury, but Dangerfield again stood tall to deny Town a second.

The goalkeeper could do nothing about Taylor's next effort, however, as the former Wellington man fired a left-footed shot low into the net to double the lead.

A free-kick by James Russell which evaded everyone and bounced inches wide of the far post was the closest Wells came to a response, with Dangerfield needing to stay alert at the other end to keep out a near-post flick from Camper.

Bridgwater collected the third goal their first-half display merited on the stroke of the interval when Horton turned in Camper's low cross to leave the home fans content with proceedings.

Town were not quite at the same level after the break, and Wells should have reduced the deficit only for Liam Davies to spurn a glorious opportunity when his attempted lob over Jake Viney was comfortably saved.

Camper remained heavily involved at the other end and, having fired a shot over and looped a header just wide, eventually claimed a deserved goal by slotting home the rebound after Taylor's effort had been kept out by Dangerfield. 

A fine team goal put the icing on the cake, as Mark Armstrong won a thumping header from a goal-kick - as he and fellow centre-half Josh White did all afternoon - and Dave Pearse chested it down for Mike Duffy.

The midfielder arrowed a pass on the half-volley out to the right hand side, where Horton took it in his stride and finished past the goalkeeper.

Two substitutes then came close to adding a sixth, with Ryan Burrows denied a tap-in by a last ditch challenge and Steve Holland denied by another fine save by Dangerfield, who did not deserve to end with such a convincing defeat against his name.

Town's victory keeps them in sixth place, sandwiched between two other teams also on 41 points - next up for the Robins is a Les Phillips Cup tie at home to Wellington next weekend.

Bridgwater Town: Jake Viney, Dave Thorne, Kurt Robinson, Mike Duffy, Josh White, Mark Armstrong, Harry Horton, Jack Jenkins (Ryan Burrows), Jack Taylor (Jake Llewellyn), Dave Pearse, Syd Camper (Steve Holland).