POLICE have advised motorists to avoid the area if possible as the road is still closed.

A Twitter post from Avon and Somerset Police reads: "A road closure remains in place on the A39 Bath Road between Crandon Bridge, Puriton Hill, to the Woolavington junction, while @DSFireUpdates deal with an incident. Please avoid the area if you can."


SCORES of firefighters have been battling a huge fire which broke out at a pub in the early hours of this morning (Tuesday, August 2).

Crews from nine fire stations have been tackling the blaze in Bath Road, Knowle, Bridgwater

Fire control received a 999 call to the fire at the Knowle Inn 3.05am and have been there since.

A spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: "Multiple fire crews and multiple special appliances are in attendance at a property fire on Bath Road, Knowle, Bridgwater.

"Upon attendance, fire crews confirmed one building used as a public house well alight and involving two propane cylinders.

"Fire crews are currently at work using five main jets, two hose reel jets and a hydraulic platform.

"Western Power are in attendance to isolate the external power to the premises."

Shortly after 4am the service's twitter account posted: "We are currently dealing with a large fire involving a pub in Knowle, near Bridgwater.

"We currently have 8 fire engines and several other appliances in attendance. Please avoid the area and the A39 Bath Road."

Attending fire stations are Bridgwater, Burnham-on-Sea, Taunton, Glastonbury, Street, Martock, Nether Stowey, South Molton and Yeovil.

Justin Bond, Wales & West Utilities Gas Emergency Service Manager for Bridgwater said: “We were called to reports of a fire at a property in the Bath Road area of Knowle this morning (02 Aug) and immediately sent an engineer to the scene. 

“On arrival we found that the property had been damaged and emergency services were in control of the area.  

“After working with the emergency services to carry out our necessary safety checks, we found no evidence of a gas leak in the area and the property itself was not connected to our gas network.

“The fire was not related to the mains gas network, and there has been no impact on the safe and reliable supply of gas to other properties in the area.”

We will bring you further details as they become available.