A SADISTIC killer who murdered a newly-wed young woman and dumped her body on the Quantock Hills, in Somerset, is reportedly on his deathbed.

John Cannan had been hoping to be released from prison this year after serving 35 years behind bars for killing Shirley Banks, an attempted kidnap of another woman and raping a third victim.

Cannan, now 67, was originally given a whole life sentence with the recommendation he was never released following the 1987 murder, but that was later reduced to a minimum of 35 years, meaning he would have been eligible to apply for parole this year.

He is now receiving end-of-life palliative car in Full Sutton Jail, in East Yorkshire, according to a report in The Mirror.

He has been in poor health for a number of years and in 2019 was said to be suffering from partial paralysis and needing to use a wheelchair following a stroke.

The car salesman bludgeoned 29-year-old factory worker Shirley to death and disposed of her body in woodland near Dead Woman's Ditch in October 1987.

He had abducted her while she was on a shopping trip and is believed to have held her in his home in Bristol before killing her.

He was given three life sentences for Shirley's murder, the attempted kidnap of Julia Holman the previous night and the rape of a woman the previous year.

Cannan is also the police's prime suspect in the murder of estate agent Suzy Lamplugh, 25, who disappeared in Fulham, London, in July 1986, days after Cannon was released from prison after five years for raping a shop worker at knifepoint and threatening to stab her son, who was just two.

Suzy's body has never been found, but she was declared dead in 1993. Cannan has always denied any involvement.

Suzy's brother is now urging Cannan to reveal the truth behind her disappearance

Richard Lamplugh told The Mirror: "I would like Cannan, if he does know, to tell us what happened to Suzy. After all these years, I would like him to finally let us know what happened.

"It would mean a lot to the family."