DR MORGAN’S Grammar School for Boys will celebrate its 300th anniversary in 2023.

Old Morganians are a group of ex-pupils of the school, who will celebrate this anniversary in several ways, including a Dr Morgans Bridgwater Old Boys reunion lunch and tour of the new Haygrove School on June 25 at 11am.

Dr Morgan’s Grammar School for Boys originated following a bequest by Dr John Morgan who was a Somerset-born physician with a practice in Bridgwater.

He was the mayor of the town in 1720. Realising that his health was failing, in 1723 he made his will and included instructions for the creation of a new school, providing adequate finance to achieve that.

Under the terms of his will, dated 16 June 1723, he entrusted the people of Bridgwater to set up a charity to educate local boys. His will even states the requirement for each boy to wear a blue jacket and blue cap.

Bridgwater Mercury:

Over the years the school has occupied a variety of premises.
The first location was in Mount Street, Bridgwater.
By 1816 the Grammar School had increased to 300 pupils a more spacious building was built for them with an attached house for the Master.

Following the implementation of the 1870 Education Act and following years of financial uncertainty the Morgan’s Trust was dissolved and the county council took control.

By the time of the outbreak of the First World War, the accommodation was inadequate for the number of pupils, but post-war austerity delayed any improvement. In 1921, a Grammar School for Girls opened, no doubt easing pressure on the Art and Technical Institute on Blake Street.

In 1937 Dr Morgan’s Grammar School for Boys transferred from its location in Mount Street, now marked with a blue plaque, to a newly built Art Deco style building in Durleigh Road.

Demolition of the iconic red brick façade of the original buildings that were occupied by Dr Morgan’s Grammar School from 1937 to 1973 began in April 2021 having been replaced by the brand new, purpose-built school that had become the new home of Haygrove School.

More info at the Old Morganians website drmorgans.com

For more info about the reunion lunch and tour email william_king@sky.com