DEVON and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service has sent out a warning after sunlight caused a property fire at the weekend.

The service has issued a picture showing the damaged caused when sunlight refracted off a mirror and set light to combustible material at the weekend.

The resulting blaze in Crediton on Saturday evening (June 4) caused 80 per cent fire to the first floor flat of the building, while the ground floor flat was 50 per cent damaged by fire and water.

Crews from five fire stations tackled the blaze.

A service spokesperson tweeted: "This photograph shows the damage that can be caused when sunlight is refracted by a mirror and sets light to combustible material such as as bedding or clothes.

"This happened in Crediton at the weekend.

"It's rare but the results can be devastating."