Bridgwater United 1-0 Cadbury Heath

IN the final game of their season, Bridgwater United claimed the Les Phillips Cup after a 1-0 victory over Cadbury Heath.

The match played at Wells City Football Club attracted a large crowd and despite the low scoreline it was an entertaining affair.

Perhaps more entertaining for the travelling Bridgwater fans as all the action came through the Robins attackers.

Jack Taylor scored the all important goal however Brown, Edwards and Simpson all enjoyed a strong performance going forward.

A special mention must go to captain Mark Armstrong who not only played a brilliant game leading on the pitch, but he also gifted his winners medal to a loyal United fan after the match. Class.

In the first half, all the action came at the Bridgwater United attacking end of the pitch; Morgan Williams created the first chance which went narrowly wide.

United had at least 10 corners in the first half, and from the first one Jacob Spence jumped highest but saw his header acrobatically saved by the Heath goalkeeper.

Jack Taylor was the next to force a save and soon after nearly all the Bridgwater players had had a shot.

Bridgwater Mercury: Jack Taylor celebrates the winning goal. Picture: Debbie GouldJack Taylor celebrates the winning goal. Picture: Debbie Gould

The only thing missing was a go-ahead goal. At the break the score was still 0-0.
Cadbury Heath had struggled in the first period and that continued in the second; they quite often got the ball in defence and cleared it out, bypassing any passing moves.

In the 58th minute Bridgwater did find the all important goal; after an initial effort was saved, Taylor headed home as the ball went in off the crossbar.

It only narrowly went over the line but as the Heath players argued it did not go in, the referees decided it did.

The rest of the match played out as expected as Bridgwater solidified their lead and Heath offered very little going forward.

There were some more chances but none good enough to alter the scoreline.
A number of players pulled up injured, perhaps due to the heat or due to the long time between their prior fixtures.

As the whistle sounded the Bridgwater players celebrated cup success as did the fans - a number of whom have not missed a game all season, home and away.