SIX fire engines attended a fuse box fire in a takeaway in Bridgwater last night (November 24).

Fire crews from Taunton, Bridgwater, Burnham-on-Sea, Nether Stowey, Street and Martock attended the incident on St Mary Street around 5.30pm.

The fire was in a terraced property with three floors. The ground floor is used as a takeaway, and the two floors above as accommodation.

On arrival, crews noticed smoke coming from the doorway of the building and realised the fuse box at an entrance doorway was on fire.

"The building was 10m by 20m constructed as brick walls and a tiled roof," said a spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service.

"There was one hundred percent fire damage to the main electrical fuse board, 10 per cent damage by fire to the first floor flat floor joist, 60 per cent smoke damage to the first floor flat and 25 per cent smoke damage to the second floor flat.

"The fire was extinguished using eight breathing apparatus, two hose reels, one safety jet, two thermal imaging cameras, two triple extension ladders, four co2 fire extinguishers, gas monitor, electrical cutting away tools and small tools."

The fire was extinguished around 8.30pm.