A CAT was rescued from a home after a kitchen fire yesterday afternoon (April 28).

Four fire engines from Cheddar, Wells, Winscombe and Weston-super-Mare attended the incident on Upper New Road in Cheddar.

Luckily, all occupants were out of the property when the crews arrived - apart from a cat, which they rescued on arrival.

The cat was then treated by the RSPCA.

"Crews isolated the gas and electricity inside the property and extinguished the fire using four breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets, 2 thermal imaging cameras, one gas monitor, one positive pressure ventilation fan, and small tools," said a spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue.

"The kitchen was severely damaged by fire and the remainder of the property was moderately damaged by smoke.

"The cause of the fire was believed to be accidental."