FIRE crews were called to tackle a kitchen fire in a Somerset home.

Crews from Street, Glastonbury and Somerton were dispatched to a property in Strode Road, Street, at just after 2.30pm on Wednesday afternoon (September 23).

"On arrival, crews confirmed a fire in the kitchen of a bungalow which had been evacuated by the occupant," a spokesperson for the Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said.

"Crews used four breathing apparatus, one carbon dioxide extinguisher, one thermal imaging camera, one hose reel jet, one safety jet, small tools and one positive pressure ventilation fan."

The kitchen sustained 20% fire damage and the rest of the property sustained 100% smoke damage, they added.

The cause of the fire is believed to have been accidental.