THREE fire engines were called out to St. John Street yesterday evening (Wednesday, July 10), after an unattended pan filled a two-storey flat with smoke.

Firefighters responded, at 5.37pm, to reports of a smoke detector sounding and visible smoke coming from the property.

Two firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the property with a hose reel jet, at this time unclear as to the safety of the residents.

The pair conducted a thorough search before finding the cause of the smoke, an unattended pan left on the cooker.

Crews isolated the electricity and removed the pan outside. A positive pressure ventilation fan was then used to clear the remaining smoke from the property.

The flat sustained only smoke damage from the incident, deemed an accident, and all persons have been accounted for.