THE M5 was shut for more than five hours after a car flipped onto its roof in a crash.

Emergency services were called to the scene on M5 near Bridgwater at around 3.30am today (February 9).

A person was rushed to hospital, although their injuries are not believed to be serious.

Traffic problems in Somerset have been made worse by a second crash later this morning.

The first crash was on the southbound carriageway between junctions 23 for Dunball (North Bridgwater) and 24 for Huntsworth (South Bridgwater).

Fire fighters were called after reports that people were trapped inside cars.

Three fire engines from Bridgwater and a rescue tender from Glastonbury were sent to a report of two vehicles that had collided.

A spokesman for the fire service said: "Upon arrival the crews discovered three cars involved and one car on its roof with a male trapped inside.

"They stabilised the vehicle then used Hydraulic cutting gear to extricate the male who was then removed to hospital by ambulance."

A spokesman for Highways England said the crashed happened at 3.31am. Police were on the scene carrying out an investigation until 7.30am when they handed back to Highways England.

The representative for Highways England added: "There were two vehicles that had crashed, and then another vehicle which had flipped onto its roof.

"We had to carry out vehicle recovery and clear up at the scene.

"The road cleared at around 8.45am and it now open again."

South western Ambulance Service sent two ambulances to the scene, as well as a hazardous area response team, a basics doctor, and an operational officer.

One patient was conveyed to hospital for further treatment.

Despite the heavy emergency services presence at the scene, it is understood that the person's injury's are not serious.

"There were lanes closed for a long period, but it is not being treated as a serious injury collision," said an Avon and Somerset Police spokesman.

"The incident is no longer ongoing."

The second crash was a single vehicle collision, and happened between Taunton and Wellington.

The crash happened on the northbound carriageway at around 9am.

Two lanes were closed.

Nobody is believed to have suffered serious injuries and emergency services have left the scene.

The road has now reopened.