A FIRE engine making its way from Taunton to Bridgwater to tackle a conservatory blaze was turned back en route as it wasn't needed after all.

A total of three engines were initially mobilised to the incident in Wyndham Road at around 2.25pm following reports that a tumble dryer had caught fire inside the wooden structure.

The first crew on the scene confirmed smoke issuing from the conservatory at the rear of the semi-detached home.

They tackled the fire using breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet and a precautionary safety jet.

A stop message was sent to the Taunton crew as the fire had been brought quickly under control and prevented from spreading to the rest of the property.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "The cause was established as having started from an electric outside light and not the tumble dryer, as initially reported.

"Once extinguished, this resulted in only minor damage to the conservatory roof and installation.

"A thermal imaging camera was then used to confirm there were no hotspots, before crews made the area safe and left duty of care with the occupier."