A BRIDGWATER man who caused disturbances in two pubs in Glastonbury town centre ended up kicking a police officer in the chest and face as he tried to arrest him.

Police were called to the Mitre Inn after reports that Patrick Scott Gallagher had been causing a disturbance there, but when they arrived he had moved on to the King Arthur pub and was also making a nuisance of himself there.

He swore at the officer, then raised a pint of beer above his head in a threatening manner and he was eventually pava sprayed to gain control.

However, while the defendant was being handcuffed, he landed a kick on the officer’s chest and chin, continued to struggle after he was taken outside and was then found to have some cannabis in his jacket pocket.

When he appeared in the dock before Somerset Magistrates at Yeovil they were told that he was a carer for people and animals and was disgusted by his own behaviour and said he felt terrible for what he had done.

Gallagher, 37, of Pedwell Street, pleaded guilty to using towards others threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour with intent to cause them t believe that immediate unlawful violence would be used against them at Glastonbury on November 7.

He also admitted assaulting a police constable acting in the execution of his duty and being in possession of a quantity of cannabis (class B).

The court heard that after the police turned up at the Mitre Inn to find the defendant had left, they were flagged down by a member of the public in the street saying Gallagher had moved on to the King Arthur pub and was now causing a disturbance there.

Prosecutor Emma Lenanton said Gallagher was immediately abusive towards the officer and he then walked towards the bar holding a pint of beer and was saying to people, “don’t let him arrest me”.

“A member of staff tried to stop him from walking behind the bar and he then began to raise his glass while shouting towards the officer so he was warned that pava spray would be used on him if he didn’t put it down, and eventually it was removed from his hand,” she said.

“The constable handcuffed one of Gallagher’s arms and he started struggling, got in his face and shouted so loudly at him that spittle was coming from his mouth.

“The officer then used his pava spray and was able to complete the handcuffing but the defendant was kicking out and struck the officer on the chest and chin and continued to be aggressive and abusive.”

Gallagher was then taken outside and down a narrow path to a waiting van but struggled so much he had to be taken to the ground.

When he was searched some green vegetable matter was found in his jacket pocket which turned out to be 1.4g of cannabis.

Probation officer Cheryl Steer said that Gallagher had drunk eight pints that night following a stressful visit with his brother and felt he needed to unwind as he was also a carer for an elderly friend.

“He does not remember hardly anything about the incident and when he viewed the police bodycam footage he was absolutely disgusted and ashamed of his behaviour and cannot believe he is back in court,” she said.

“He feels terrible for the police officer with what he had to deal with and says the cannabis was for his own personal use.

“He says he cannot carry on in this way and wants to make changes and move forward with his life.”

She said that Gallagher cared for an elderly male friend with dementia and was also a volunteer at the Heavens Gate animal sanctuary, near Langport.

She said he had been using cannabis on and off since the age of 18 but had been using it daily more recently.

Defending solicitor Neil Priest said matters had come to a head regarding Gallagher’s stress with other people, but he now needed assistance with his own anxiety and depression.

“He is not a bad person and is remorseful and disgusted with his behaviour and was also in court earlier this year for the same type of incident,” he said.

The magistrates sentenced the defendant to a 12-month community order with a 15-day Rehabilitation Activity Requirement and 90 hours unpaid work.

He was also ordered to pay £100 compensation to the police officer along with an £85 victim surcharge and £40 costs.