A BRIDGWATER flat fire was caused by a vaping device, the fire service says. 

Engines were called to Saltlands Avenue at around 8.38am this morning (April 14). 

Crews from Bridgwater, Taunton and Burnham-on-Sea were called to the fire at a large block of flats.

A spokesman said: "Upon arrival crews confirmed a fire within one of the flats on the first floor.

"It turned out to be a sofa on fire caused by a vaping device.

"Crews managed to extinguish the fire using breathing apparatus and a hose reel, limiting the fire damage to the sofa and smoke damage to the flat."