AN electric car was virtually destroyed in an accidental fire in the early hours of this morning (Tuesday, May 24).

Firefighters were called to the blaze in Vicarage Lane, Pawlett, two minutes after midnight.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "On arrival, crews confirmed the vehicle was well alight and got to work to extinguish the fire using one hose reel jet and one breathing apparatus.

"The electric powered vehicle suffered 80 percent fire damage.

"The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental."