A REDEDICATION ceremony to mark the restoration of a memorial honouring the Cottam family has taken place at Wembdon Road Cemetery.

The memorial, which had been repaired by Derek Gibson MBE, honours Arthur Basil Cottam (1836- 1911) and his son also called Arthur Basil Cottam (1861-1911).

Arthur Cottamn Snr was a civil servant, a church warden of St Mary’s Church, Bridgwater, and one of the founders of the Royal Astronomical Society.

His son, was a prominent architect of Bridgwater and designed many well known buildings in the town centre, including the Dragon House on the corner of West Quay and Fore Street, as well as many well known streets, including Victoria Road, Camden Road, Taunton Road and Cranleigh Gardens.

Both men had a big impact on Bridgwater and both died within a couple of months of each other.

Speeches were made by Mayor of Bridgwater Cllr Austen and Derek Gibson and a prayer was given by the vicar of Wembdon St George’s, Ed Moll to the memory of the family.

In attendance were the Friends of the Cemetery, the Mayor and Mayoress of Bridgwater, the High Sheriff of Somerset as well as past and present architects of the firm of Smith and Gamblin of Bridgwater.