Somerset Colts League

Bridgwater & Albion Colts 12, Frampton Cotterell Colts 10

ALBION colts came out victorious in a tightly-contested match with a last gasp try against their South Gloucestershire opponents.

As the score shows this was a very close match played in murky conditions but was fast and furious for all that, with Albion showing great resilience to stage a comeback.

The Frampton game was around their mobile pack with quick ball in the tackle, and sustained pressure from them ten minutes in led to their first unconverted try, unsurprisingly from the forwards.

Bridgwater fought back and were dominating possession, much of it through captain and flanker Troy Williams, who drove to the Frampton line for the try to be disallowed for a double movement.

This was followed shortly after by a disallowed Frampton try for a knock on and Albion cleared their lines.

Frampton were then penalised for offside at a scrum something that had been happening frequently, but the kick was missed.

On 36 minutes Frampton were awarded a penalty on the home side five-metre line and a driving forward run crossed line for their second try, again unconverted.

Bridgwater then again missed a penalty for offside and the half ended with the visitors ten points to the good.

The second period began much as the first with concerted Frampton forward pressure but Bridgwater had now got the measure of the tactic, winning a turnover on halfway and getting the ball along the line to winger David Hughes, who ran 40 metres before being stopped.

This was followed by a run from fly-half Luke Payne and pressure continued to build on Frampton as Bridgy won a lineout just ten metres out.

The short throw to prop Cameron Modley saw him bulldoze over the line to score in the corner and the difficult conversion was missed.

With the score at 5-10 Albion had the bit between their teeth and were at last running the ball with both winger Kalem Brown and centre John Badger ably assisted by centre Lewis Plece making hefty inroads into the defence.

The ball was moving well though the backs when Badger picked up on halfway and avoiding three attempted tackles crossed the Frampton line for the equalising score just on full time.

This time the boot of Payne gave the home side a get out of jail card by adding the required extras for Bridgwater to win 12-10 with the last kick of the game.

The Colts' next game is at home this Saturday when they play Minehead (kick off 2.30pm).