Somerset County League
Premier Division
Wrington Redhill 1, Middlezoy Rovers 0

AFTER the disappointment of losing in the last minute last week, Middlezoy were looking to get back to winning ways against a mid-table Wrington Redhill side.

On a very boggy pitch, Wrington started the brighter and their front two were causing some issues, winning early free-kicks in dangerous positions.

Fortunately for Zoy, these didn’t materialise into anything and the visitors began to grow into the game.

By the mid-point of the half Zoy were starting to have the majority of possession without really causing Wrington many problems, but they stepped up the pressure in the final 10 minutes with a succession of corners and attempts on the Wrington goal.

A mixture of poor finishing, saves, blocks and goal line clearances kept Zoy out, however, as the teams went in level at half time.

The away side started the second half the same way as they had finished the first, and it seemed like only a matter of time before they got the breakthrough.

However, they were stunned 15 minutes into the half when Wrington scored a breakaway goal through Michael Rowcliffe on one of their rare attacks.

After this goal the game reverted to how it had been before, with Middlezoy constantly pressurising the Wrington goal.

The hosts now had something to defend though, and sat everyone back behind the ball to make it even harder for Zoy to break them down.

Chances came to equalise, with Craig Wright missing a header when well placed, Andy Smith seeing an effort tipped round the post and another cleared off the line, but the visitors could just not put the ball in the net.

In the dying moments Zoy had a great chance to grab a point but Wright blazed over on the turn from six yards out to sum up the away side’s day.

The defeat leaves Zoy fifth in the table; their next match is at home to Broad Plain House in the Premier & Division 1 Cup on Saturday (ko 2.30pm).


Somerset Senior Cup
Nailsea & Tickenham 7, Bridgwater Town Reserves 2

BRIDGWATER Town Reserves were dumped out of the Somerset Senior Cup at the third round stage after a heavy defeat at Nailsea & Tickenham.

Town were 2-1 up thanks to strikes from Ash Tandy and Adam Male, but collapsed thereafter.

They are in cup action again on Saturday, this time at home to Purnell Sports in the Premier & Division 1 Cup (ko 2.30pm).