Middlezoy cough up half-time lead to suffer first league defeat

Middlezoy cough up half-time lead to suffer first league defeat

Middlezoy cough up half-time lead to suffer first league defeat

First published in Sport

Somerset County Premier

Middlezoy Rovers 1, Clevedon United 3

MIDDLEZOY surrendered a 1-0 half-time lead to go down 3-1 to in-form Clevedon United.

Dan Luce fired 'Zoy into the lead on 30 minutes, but United fought back with three second-half goals to turn the tables and condemn the hosts to a first defeat of the season. 

Middlezoy looked comfortable in the early stages and were exploiting gaps in the visitors defence, but some wasteful finishing prevented the early goal.

Dan Luce did finally open the scoring from distance, his shot cannoning in off bar and post, to give Middlezoy a deserved lead on 30 minutes.

Trailing at the break Clevedon changed their formation and quickly found an equaliser through Mike Purnell on 52 minutes against the run of play.

Their second goal was assisted by Purnell, who found an unmarked Dan Fowler for a tap in. 

Now undeservedly trailing, Middlezoy started taking more risks going forward - Smith, Wright and Temlett all missing chances to level the scores.

However, the ultimate sucker-punch came five minutes from time when a break from the visitors led to a corner which was headed in powerfully by Luke Gibson to make it 3-1.

Middlezoy will be in league action again on Friday evening at the Tannery Ground, Street in an 8pm kick off.

Star Man: Dan Luce (Middlezoy Rovers) Team: SBaker, SBone (CLintell), TBrown (JDoyle), JBennett, LTurner (STurner), CTucker, DJennings, DLuce, ASmith, JTemlett, CWright.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree