Calor League South & West

Bridgwater Town 1, Tiverton Town 2

BRIDGWATER Town squandered a half-time lead to go down 2-1 at home to play-off chasing Tiverton Town, writes Eddie Robinson.

Former Robin Aaron Wilson returned to haunt his old side by netting an equaliser, after Daine O'Connor's fine individual goal had sent Bridgwater into the break with a 1-0 lead.

For the second successive Saturday, Bridgwater were unlucky not to gain any reward against a side fighting it out at the top end of the table.

On a blustery day, it was the defences who were on top and the two keepers were seldom called into action.

Tiverton had the better of the opening exchanges as Bridgwater struggled to control the lively ball.

The game's first shot came on 14 minutes from Tiverton's Halsom, but the best chance of the opening period came when Nardiello burst through the middle, but his pass to the unmarked Smith was woeful.

This heralded Bridgwater's best period of the game, with Mawford and Tooze getting into dangerous positions with clever footwork.

Further across down the left, Rendell and Page couldn't quite find the decisive pass to open up the visitors.

Tiverton committed 13 fouls in the first half, but even those awarded in dangerous areas failed to spell danger to the yellow-shirted away side.

On 36 minutes appeared little on when O'Connor won a challenge for a bouncing ball just over the half-way line, but showing tremendous pace he raced after his own kick, taking him clear of the defence - and his low shot squeezed into the net off the far post to give Bridgwater a half-time lead.

Pilling, back in the starting line-up after a handful of substitute appearances, was outstanding in central midfield.

Tiverton equalised four minutes into the second-half when Allen failed to deal with a ball through the middle and ex-Bridgwater player, Wilson, took full advantage to give Greaves no chance.

Parity restored, the game entered a quiet period, with no goalmouth action.

This ended when Tiverton took the lead on 69 minutes, as central defender Palmer, up for a corner, converted from close range.

Bridgwater came close to salvaging a point when Searle saved Thomas' firm header, but it wasn't to be for the Robins and they left empty handed.