Rape officer jailed for eight years

Trevor Gray arrived at Derby Crown Court with his face covered

Trevor Gray arrived at Derby Crown Court with his face covered

First published in National © by

A detective sergeant has been jailed for eight years for raping a mother in her own home.

Trevor Gray attacked the 43-year-old woman after the pair had been out for drinks in Nottingham city centre the same night after meeting through mutual friends.

The Nottinghamshire detective forced the security chain on the front door of the mother of one's house, made his way upstairs and attacked his victim as she slept while her child was asleep in a nearby room last July.

At Derby Crown Court, Judge John Wait told Gray: "These are grave offences. You forced an entry into a home where your victim and her child were entitled to feel safe.

"You took advantage of her intoxication to rape her. She felt - and was - violated in her own home."

The jury took less than three hours to convict Gray on Wednesday of rape, attempted rape and sexual assault.

Judge Wait jailed Gray for eight years for rape, six years for attempted rape and four for sexual assault, to run concurrently.

Sentencing the father of two, who had separated from his wife just a month before the attack, Judge Wait said: "You are intelligent and arrogant, you thought you would get away with it.

"You did not believe she would have the courage to complain or that if she did she would be believed."

The detective, who has served in the police for more 20 years, will now be removed from Nottinghamshire Police. Gray was told he will serve one half of the eight-year sentence in custody and the remainder on licence.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree