Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting MERCURY NEWS to 80360 or email us
120 homes bid for fields off Durleigh Road, Bridgwater
5:20pm Monday 17th September 2012 in Bridgwater Area News
A BID has been made for 120 homes on fields next to where a massively controversial housing development was rejected last month.
The Mercury reported in August on the fall-out from Sedgemoor District Council's decision to snub plans for 187 homes south of Haygrove Farm.
Developer Joe Notaro said the scheme would have netted the area £5million towards school places, play facilities and The Meads eco-park, while opponents argued it would have clogged roads and swallowed up more green space.
Now Summerfield Developments has come forward with a separate scheme, on fields just to the east of where Mr Notaro and joint developer David Wilson Homes hoped to build.
In a supporting statement for the Summerfield scheme, architects Angus Meek say: “Whilst the site is separately accessed and independent from this (Notaro/David Wilson Homes) application site it offers the opportunity to establish a congruous development strategy of the Eco Park edge with the ability to provide surveillance and improved pedestrian and cycle links.”
Angus Meek also acknowledge that at an earlier consultation event, some people living in the area said brownfield sites should be built on before greenfield sites, a view the district council shared when rejecting the 187-home scheme in August.
Details passed to the council also show most of the homes would be three or four-bedroom, and 36 would be social housing.
Comments are closed on this article.