Somerset County Council eyes cost-cutting measures

Somerset County Council eyes cost-cutting measures

Somerset County Council eyes cost-cutting measures

First published in News

ASKING parish councils or voluntary groups to take over basic services such as clearing gullies or cutting grass verges could provide better value for money, says Somerset County Council.

It is asking smaller organisations to apply for between £500 and £50,000 from a Community Enablement Fund for the tools needed to take on these kinds of services, although the county council will not then provide year-on-year funding.

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:50pm Sun 2 Sep 12

Samej1 says...

Brilliant idea - ask Parish Councils (who share a tiny percentage of council tax) to take on work that the county council take a massive amount of council tax to do, than bank that amount as a 'saving'... Dick Turpin would be proud!
Brilliant idea - ask Parish Councils (who share a tiny percentage of council tax) to take on work that the county council take a massive amount of council tax to do, than bank that amount as a 'saving'... Dick Turpin would be proud! Samej1
  • Score: 0

9:54pm Sun 2 Sep 12

MINIME2 says...

We had our grass bank cut 6 times a year. Not now though.A RESIDENT bought an industrial strimmer and the men take it in turns to cut the bank.We all pay our council tax and get nothing in return only refuse collection. The drains are clogged up so rain water does not drain away. I forgot to say we dont live in Durleigh or Wembdon perhaps that's why we dont get the sefvices !!!!! the council are too busy spending OUR hard earned council tax in those area's.
We had our grass bank cut 6 times a year. Not now though.A RESIDENT bought an industrial strimmer and the men take it in turns to cut the bank.We all pay our council tax and get nothing in return only refuse collection. The drains are clogged up so rain water does not drain away. I forgot to say we dont live in Durleigh or Wembdon perhaps that's why we dont get the sefvices !!!!! the council are too busy spending OUR hard earned council tax in those area's. MINIME2
  • Score: 0

9:52am Mon 3 Sep 12

Town Fantasy says...

Not to worry - if SCC are cutting services to us,does that mean, we can cut our contribution to them. Im sure that they would scream blue murder, if we cut our services to them. Its just one big joke.
SCC TDBC - waste of space.
No pride in the towns or the county. Just hope, that when an accident happens, because of overgrown vegetation, that they are sued big time - maybe then, they will rethink.
Not to worry - if SCC are cutting services to us,does that mean, we can cut our contribution to them. Im sure that they would scream blue murder, if we cut our services to them. Its just one big joke. SCC TDBC - waste of space. No pride in the towns or the county. Just hope, that when an accident happens, because of overgrown vegetation, that they are sued big time - maybe then, they will rethink. Town Fantasy
  • Score: 0

11:32am Mon 3 Sep 12

jimee says...

Good idea...these jobs are not done enough anyway. give the silly little councils something to do.
Good idea...these jobs are not done enough anyway. give the silly little councils something to do. jimee
  • Score: 0

4:25pm Mon 3 Sep 12

Samej1 says...

Tell me if I misunderstand, but the County Council part of the tax is frozen to receive government funding, but the Parish Council part can rise? If so, how long before we end up paying twice for one service....
Tell me if I misunderstand, but the County Council part of the tax is frozen to receive government funding, but the Parish Council part can rise? If so, how long before we end up paying twice for one service.... Samej1
  • Score: 0

9:04pm Mon 3 Sep 12

MINIME2 says...

Town Fantasy thats worth a thought. Now what can I do to make it look good ????
Town Fantasy thats worth a thought. Now what can I do to make it look good ???? MINIME2
  • Score: 0

10:52pm Mon 3 Sep 12

Boring says...

MINIME2 wrote:
We had our grass bank cut 6 times a year. Not now though.A RESIDENT bought an industrial strimmer and the men take it in turns to cut the bank.We all pay our council tax and get nothing in return only refuse collection. The drains are clogged up so rain water does not drain away. I forgot to say we dont live in Durleigh or Wembdon perhaps that's why we dont get the sefvices !!!!! the council are too busy spending OUR hard earned council tax in those area's.
Really?? Tell me what they are spending round my way in Durleigh then.
You have come out with a statement which I presume you can back up with facts
Because I haven't got a clue what your on about.
[quote][p][bold]MINIME2[/bold] wrote: We had our grass bank cut 6 times a year. Not now though.A RESIDENT bought an industrial strimmer and the men take it in turns to cut the bank.We all pay our council tax and get nothing in return only refuse collection. The drains are clogged up so rain water does not drain away. I forgot to say we dont live in Durleigh or Wembdon perhaps that's why we dont get the sefvices !!!!! the council are too busy spending OUR hard earned council tax in those area's.[/p][/quote]Really?? Tell me what they are spending round my way in Durleigh then. You have come out with a statement which I presume you can back up with facts Because I haven't got a clue what your on about. Boring
  • Score: 0

10:39am Tue 4 Sep 12

MINIME2 says...

Boring. I have yet to drive through Durleigh or Wembdon and see grass verges ,including the steep grass bank outside of Haygrove school , more than perhaps 6" high. Never see rubbish strewn around the area or water where clogged drains cannot take away the rain water so you must have very good council services in those area's ? or are you like us just get a refuse collection and cut your own grass verge's ?
Boring. I have yet to drive through Durleigh or Wembdon and see grass verges ,including the steep grass bank outside of Haygrove school , more than perhaps 6" high. Never see rubbish strewn around the area or water where clogged drains cannot take away the rain water so you must have very good council services in those area's ? or are you like us just get a refuse collection and cut your own grass verge's ? MINIME2
  • Score: 0

11:26am Tue 4 Sep 12

Boring says...

Have another drive round!
One thing I will say about the Durleigh area,people tend to actually look after there own area. If there's rubbish around people will pick it up. When I lived in Sydenham it seemed it was a case of " that's not mine so why should I bother". If you can tell me different then I'm all ears.

The grass verges in front of people's houses are not cut by the council.
I think the home owners cut them themselves,probably because it reflects on them if it looks a mess.

This "Durleigh gets better treatment" thing, is in your mind.

Please tell me what we have this end of town in facilities etc, there's nothing.
The kids have nothing,there's no community centre,no football pitches for them to play on, and 2 tiny little parks where the grass IS 6 inches long.
Other parts of town have a lot more than here, but I guess no one wants to hear about that do they.
It doesn't fit in with the anti Durleigh propaganda.
Have another drive round! One thing I will say about the Durleigh area,people tend to actually look after there own area. If there's rubbish around people will pick it up. When I lived in Sydenham it seemed it was a case of " that's not mine so why should I bother". If you can tell me different then I'm all ears. The grass verges in front of people's houses are not cut by the council. I think the home owners cut them themselves,probably because it reflects on them if it looks a mess. This "Durleigh gets better treatment" thing, is in your mind. Please tell me what we have this end of town in facilities etc, there's nothing. The kids have nothing,there's no community centre,no football pitches for them to play on, and 2 tiny little parks where the grass IS 6 inches long. Other parts of town have a lot more than here, but I guess no one wants to hear about that do they. It doesn't fit in with the anti Durleigh propaganda. Boring
  • Score: 0

11:32am Tue 4 Sep 12

Boring says...

Oh, one more thing,after you have had your drive around Durleigh, make sure you check your car suspension.
The roads are so uneven and rutted round here compared to other parts of town.
Mind you, the council did chuck some chippings down about 5 years ago, so I shouldn't complain!
Oh, one more thing,after you have had your drive around Durleigh, make sure you check your car suspension. The roads are so uneven and rutted round here compared to other parts of town. Mind you, the council did chuck some chippings down about 5 years ago, so I shouldn't complain! Boring
  • Score: 0

2:18pm Tue 4 Sep 12

jimee says...

You are spot on there Boring...and i don't even live in Durleigh or Wembdon come to that. The people in those places do get out and clean up the areas in front of their houses...more than can be said of most people in other areas. Some people want their bottoms wiping.
You are spot on there Boring...and i don't even live in Durleigh or Wembdon come to that. The people in those places do get out and clean up the areas in front of their houses...more than can be said of most people in other areas. Some people want their bottoms wiping. jimee
  • Score: 0

3:16pm Tue 4 Sep 12

thekurgen says...

MINIME2 wrote:
We had our grass bank cut 6 times a year. Not now though.A RESIDENT bought an industrial strimmer and the men take it in turns to cut the bank.We all pay our council tax and get nothing in return only refuse collection. The drains are clogged up so rain water does not drain away. I forgot to say we dont live in Durleigh or Wembdon perhaps that's why we dont get the sefvices !!!!! the council are too busy spending OUR hard earned council tax in those area's.
Minime2 take that chip from your shoulder and get your facts right. I live in wembdon and the parish council collect a minimal amount from the council tax, generally the area is kept nice and tidy by the council BUT supplemented by the community. Prior to living here I lived in 'nam most of my life and the issues in the WHOLE town were a concern to me as ultimately we are all affected . . . .
[quote][p][bold]MINIME2[/bold] wrote: We had our grass bank cut 6 times a year. Not now though.A RESIDENT bought an industrial strimmer and the men take it in turns to cut the bank.We all pay our council tax and get nothing in return only refuse collection. The drains are clogged up so rain water does not drain away. I forgot to say we dont live in Durleigh or Wembdon perhaps that's why we dont get the sefvices !!!!! the council are too busy spending OUR hard earned council tax in those area's.[/p][/quote]Minime2 take that chip from your shoulder and get your facts right. I live in wembdon and the parish council collect a minimal amount from the council tax, generally the area is kept nice and tidy by the council BUT supplemented by the community. Prior to living here I lived in 'nam most of my life and the issues in the WHOLE town were a concern to me as ultimately we are all affected . . . . thekurgen
  • Score: 0

5:19pm Tue 4 Sep 12

liverbird89 says...

I agree with MINIME2 with regards that certain services are not being done enough but some parish councils have quite a lot of things on their plates at the moment.
I agree with MINIME2 with regards that certain services are not being done enough but some parish councils have quite a lot of things on their plates at the moment. liverbird89
  • Score: 0

8:40pm Tue 4 Sep 12

MINIME2 says...

thekurgen. I dont have a chip on my shoulder I just state true facts if you dont like it dont read it. I havent noticed any comments about the services you get from the COUNCIL so you must be getting them all .We get a refuse collection and NOTHING else can you say that ? Yes the neighbours where I live including myself sweep and keep our fronts clean and keep our properties clean and tidy. So no I dont have a chip on my shoulder I just think the council should be doing there duty to EVERY council tax payer not just the chosen few.
thekurgen. I dont have a chip on my shoulder I just state true facts if you dont like it dont read it. I havent noticed any comments about the services you get from the COUNCIL so you must be getting them all .We get a refuse collection and NOTHING else can you say that ? Yes the neighbours where I live including myself sweep and keep our fronts clean and keep our properties clean and tidy. So no I dont have a chip on my shoulder I just think the council should be doing there duty to EVERY council tax payer not just the chosen few. MINIME2
  • Score: 0

8:58am Wed 5 Sep 12

??givemeabreak!! says...

Agree we seem to be asked to DIY or pay twice. They do not even do the job properly the streets look a mess there are weeds in the roads and drains they do not clear clippings Please don't tell me they mulch down. Rubbish!!!! Idleness and lack of pride in the town more like WHEREVER you live
Agree we seem to be asked to DIY or pay twice. They do not even do the job properly the streets look a mess there are weeds in the roads and drains they do not clear clippings Please don't tell me they mulch down. Rubbish!!!! Idleness and lack of pride in the town more like WHEREVER you live ??givemeabreak!!
  • Score: 0

9:21am Wed 5 Sep 12

Boring says...

MINIME2 wrote:
thekurgen. I dont have a chip on my shoulder I just state true facts if you dont like it dont read it. I havent noticed any comments about the services you get from the COUNCIL so you must be getting them all .We get a refuse collection and NOTHING else can you say that ? Yes the neighbours where I live including myself sweep and keep our fronts clean and keep our properties clean and tidy. So no I dont have a chip on my shoulder I just think the council should be doing there duty to EVERY council tax payer not just the chosen few.
Please tell us all who "the chosen few" are.
We would all like to know,thanks!
You need to back up your claims with facts, because otherwise that chip is going to be turning in to a whole potato.
[quote][p][bold]MINIME2[/bold] wrote: thekurgen. I dont have a chip on my shoulder I just state true facts if you dont like it dont read it. I havent noticed any comments about the services you get from the COUNCIL so you must be getting them all .We get a refuse collection and NOTHING else can you say that ? Yes the neighbours where I live including myself sweep and keep our fronts clean and keep our properties clean and tidy. So no I dont have a chip on my shoulder I just think the council should be doing there duty to EVERY council tax payer not just the chosen few.[/p][/quote]Please tell us all who "the chosen few" are. We would all like to know,thanks! You need to back up your claims with facts, because otherwise that chip is going to be turning in to a whole potato. Boring
  • Score: 0

9:31am Wed 5 Sep 12

Boring says...

MINIME2, here's an easy question for you,other than refuse/re-cycling collections,what other service does the council provide in Durleigh?

I will play my "joker" and say none!

Perhaps you could give me your answer.
MINIME2, here's an easy question for you,other than refuse/re-cycling collections,what other service does the council provide in Durleigh? I will play my "joker" and say none! Perhaps you could give me your answer. Boring
  • Score: 0

11:13pm Wed 5 Sep 12

thekurgen says...

Oh come on Boring lets indulge minime2's delusion, not only do I get my bins emptied weekly but also Ian lidl granger pops round and cleans my windows and cuts my grass, a weekly delegation from Bridgy house, makes sure the kettle is on and the toast is nicely buttered of a morning . . . . . it's great living in Wembdon . . .
Oh come on Boring lets indulge minime2's delusion, not only do I get my bins emptied weekly but also Ian lidl granger pops round and cleans my windows and cuts my grass, a weekly delegation from Bridgy house, makes sure the kettle is on and the toast is nicely buttered of a morning . . . . . it's great living in Wembdon . . . thekurgen
  • Score: 0

11:55pm Wed 5 Sep 12

Boring says...

thekurgen wrote:
Oh come on Boring lets indulge minime2's delusion, not only do I get my bins emptied weekly but also Ian lidl granger pops round and cleans my windows and cuts my grass, a weekly delegation from Bridgy house, makes sure the kettle is on and the toast is nicely buttered of a morning . . . . . it's great living in Wembdon . . .
Nice one!
Mind you ILG wouldn't know how to get to B/W.
If he did find his way to my house to clean my windows I would stick his ladder up his ..........
[quote][p][bold]thekurgen[/bold] wrote: Oh come on Boring lets indulge minime2's delusion, not only do I get my bins emptied weekly but also Ian lidl granger pops round and cleans my windows and cuts my grass, a weekly delegation from Bridgy house, makes sure the kettle is on and the toast is nicely buttered of a morning . . . . . it's great living in Wembdon . . .[/p][/quote]Nice one! Mind you ILG wouldn't know how to get to B/W. If he did find his way to my house to clean my windows I would stick his ladder up his .......... Boring
  • Score: 0

12:47am Fri 7 Sep 12

Boring says...

Boring wrote:
MINIME2, here's an easy question for you,other than refuse/re-cycling collections,what other service does the council provide in Durleigh?

I will play my "joker" and say none!

Perhaps you could give me your answer.
Anyone there?
[quote][p][bold]Boring[/bold] wrote: MINIME2, here's an easy question for you,other than refuse/re-cycling collections,what other service does the council provide in Durleigh? I will play my "joker" and say none! Perhaps you could give me your answer.[/p][/quote]Anyone there? Boring
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree