Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting MERCURY NEWS to 80360 or email us
Unique prize in our Viridor Jubilee Design Competition
5:22pm Wednesday 2nd May 2012 in News
A UNIQUE prize – and some cash – will be won by a lucky Somerset school pupil in our Queen’s Diamond Jubilee design competition.
We’ve teamed up with recycling and waste management specialists Viridor to offer children aged 16 and under the chance to win £100 for themselves and £250 for their school in our Diamond Jubilee Competition.
Artwork by the winner will be blown up in size to 4.6m x 2m and will be displayed on the side of a Viridor collection lorry – boasting the number plate V60 HRH – throughout the jubilee period and all summer.
The winner will also receive a large-scale model of the Volvo lorry carrying the design worth about £200 and three runners-up will receive prizes of £50.
Now all children need to do is get creative and produce a design to enter the competition.
Richard Jenkins, regional director for Viridor in the South West, said: “We have a fantastic summer ahead with the jubilee and major sporting events, so we wanted to get in the spirit of things with help from school children across Somerset.
“The winning jubilee-themed design will be used on a truck collecting recycling and waste materials from businesses right across the county, and will stay on the vehicle throughout the summer.
“We’re looking for something that is eye-catching, bold and celebrates the Queen’s 60 years on the throne – good luck!”
Alex Cameron, editor of Newsquest Somerset, publisher of this website, added: “This is a fabulous opportunity for someone to make history as the winning design will be featured in our jubilee souvenir, which will be sent to the Queen.
“If your school is getting involved, just let us know and we’ll photograph the young artists working on their designs.”
Viridor was founded in Bridgwater in 1956 and is now based in Taunton at Great Western House near the station. It has grown into one of the UK’s leading recycling companies employing 3,200 people nationally.
HOW TO ENTER
- Create a design on an A4 sheet of paper paper – in landscape (long side at the top/bottom)
- Judges will be looking for a colourful, bold design that sums up the Queen and/or the jubilee. The design must also fill the page.
- The deadline for entries, which must be sent to Diamond Jubilee Competition, Newsquest Somerset, St James Street, Taunton TA1 1JR or handed in to our offices, is 5pm on Thursday, May 24.
- Judging will take place on May 25 and the winner will be invited to a photocall unveiling their design on the lorry in the week of May 28.
For details, you can also click on Viridor's competition website.
- Entries must be the entrant’s own work.
- Entrants must be under the age of 17 on the deadline for entries, May 24, 2012.
- Normal Newsquest competition rules apply – click here for full details.
- Entrants must either or both live or go to school in the county of Somerset, the boundary which is defined by Somerset County Council or in the area of Heymock and Holcombe Rogus.
- The winning design will be determined by a panel of judges whose decision is final.
- We are unable to return entries – (we recommend taking a copy before submitting designs if you’d like one for your records).