FIREFIGHTERS attended a basement flat fire in Bridgwater this afternoon.

Crews attended the incident on Friarn Street shortly after 2.30pm today (Friday, February 17).

The fire service received a call reporting smoke issuing from a block of flats and on arrival confirmed a fire involving an electrical heater in the bathroom.

They managed to put out the blaze using a hose reel jet, a main jet backed up by a hydrant and a positive pressure ventilation fan.

A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue said: "Fire crews isolated the electrics to the flat and an electrician was arranged to ensure the power supply is safe. The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental."