A BLOCK of flats was evacuated during a fire in Bridgwater earlier today (Friday).

A total of six fire engines were sent to the incident in West Street shortly after 11am amid fears people could be trapped inside a second floor flat.

But on arrival firefighters found everyone was accounted for.

Firefighters using breathing apparatus gained entry to the home and extinguished the fire.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "Residents were allowed back into the building at 12.15pm.

"The fire was started accidentally by unattended cooking."