Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting MERCURY NEWS to 80360 or email us
Trial starts of alleged Bridgwater stabber Lee Tremayne
A MAN accused of a stabbing in a flat yards from where hundreds of families were walking to Bridgwater Fair has gone on trial.
Lee Tremayne, 25, of Turner Close, is charged with wounding with intent and assault by beating following two incidents last September.
Mr Tremayne denies the charges and his trial started at Taunton Crown Court today (March 17), due to continue tomorrow.
He is alleged to have stabbed one man on September 26, the day after assaulting a female.
A jury – made up of eight men and four women – was sworn in and told of the charges against Mr Tremayne.
Judge David Ticehurst also warned members not to discuss the case or to carry out their own research.
The prosecution was due to open its case against Mr Tremayne this afternoon and the first witness was expected to give evidence.
Mr Tremayne’s defence is due to be heard on Tuesday before the judge sums up the case. It is then that the jury will retire to consider its verdict.
As reported in the Mercury last year, police were called to a flat at Southbourne House, just off West Street – one of the main routes to the popular town fair – at around 6.30pm.
Ambulance crews said a man in his 30s was taken to Musgrove Park Hospital, Taunton, in a serious but not life-threatening condition.
The incident is thought to be unconnected to the fair but sparked a wave of rumours on social media that it was to close. However, it carried on as normal.
Mr Tremayne denies both charges and the trial continues.