Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting MERCURY NEWS to 80360 or email us
Family's warning for parents after toddler dies in horrific accident
THE grieving parents of a toddler who died in a horrific accident at home are urging other mums and dads to take steps to prevent a repeat of the tragedy.
Marcus Warren was killed when the top drawer of a wooden chest fell on him in his bedroom in Woolavington last August. He was just 22 months old.
An inquest into Marcus’ death, held in Bridgwater this month, concluded he died from traumatic asphyxia.
West Somerset Coroner Michael Rose told the Mercury he could recall only one similar tragedy in the area in the past two decades.
He issued a warning about the dangers of chests which are on runners, as was the case with the chest in Marcus’ room.
Marcus’ mum, Helen Cemm, said her son had pulled out the bottom drawer and was trying to climb in when the top drawer fell on him.
When she came into his room and saw what had happened, she immediately dialled 999, and also gave her son CPR, but was unable to save him.
Helen and her partner, Mike Warren, Marcus’ father, are now urging other parents of young children, especially those of an age where they are becoming more active and exploring more, to make sure all furniture in the home is safely secured.
Helen said: “This is not something you think about happening, but I want to make sure it doesn’t happen to any other parents.
“Marcus was such a lively little child, full of life. He loved everybody.
“It’s been very traumatic. Luckily, I have lots of close family who have helped me through it, and we are just taking each day as it comes.”
Mike and Helen are also comforting Marcus’ older brother, Benjamin, who is eight.
Helen said: “We try to remember Marcus by talking about him with Benjamin and showing him pictures.
“We have also had a star named after him and I have a special tree in the back garden I bought on Marcus’ birthday in October.”